stutter between 5k-6k?

More
31 Mar 2007 17:55 #125274 by Exitpupil
stutter between 5k-6k? was created by Exitpupil
Here is where I am. Just rebuilt my 79 KZ1000 with 1075 kit, 10.25:1 cr, home ported head with stock valves, K410 cams, degreed at 107*, valves adjusted, spark advance working properly, BS34 carbs from wiredgeorge. The bike has a brief stutter between 5k and 6k rpm when at WOT. Runs clean up to the stutter and pulls strong after it to 11k. I can crack the throttle WOT at 1500 rpm in 5th gear and it pulls strong all the way to redline except the stutter. I put an O2 sensor mixture monitor on and it is 12.5 all the way thru the rpm band. I'm stumped?

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2007 19:38 #135116 by roystaylor
Replied by roystaylor on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
Y Y Y you sh sh sh should expect that st st stutter when b b breaking the ssss sound b b b barrier.

More
29 Apr 2007 18:04 #135404 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
Just a shot in the dark here but is there any chance that you have a vapor lock or vacuum leak that is causing that fuel flow problem? I had a similar issue last year that for some reason I couldn't pinpoint.

It would be interesting to hear from some of the veteran Kz owners on their opinions.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
02 Jun 2007 21:44 #145808 by Maverick
Replied by Maverick on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
Are you running Pod Filters? My 81 KZ1000 has pod filters and has a similar stutter, but at a higher RPM. I've heard that this can be caused when you take off the airbox and install pod filters. Supposedly the airbox is engineered to provide the optimum intake air travel length which is shortened when you install the pods. I've also heard that one solution to this is to run velocity stacks, but they have their own drawbacks. Can anybody out there confirm this?

Cheers,

Maverick

1981 KZ1000M1

More
03 Jun 2007 13:11 #145921 by Capt. Quirk
Replied by Capt. Quirk on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
Sounds like it's running rich in that range.

More
03 Jun 2007 13:12 #145922 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
I did have the same problem from 4000 to 6500rpm. The needle was a clip to high and apparently giving to much feul. I lowered it and it's now running fine. Might be your problem to.
good luck!

More
03 Jun 2007 20:22 #146060 by Maverick
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just trying to reason through this martijn... So if the clip was too high, then the needle was too low, and lowering the clip would raise the needle and give more gas making a richer mixture. Am I thinking about this backwards? :huh: If you want to lean out the mixture in the mid-range, wouldn't you want to raise the clip, thereby lowering the needle?

Post edited by: Maverick, at: 2007/06/03 23:25

1981 KZ1000M1

More
03 Jun 2007 23:08 #146087 by Capt. Quirk
Replied by Capt. Quirk on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
Maverick wrote:

Are you running Pod Filters? My 81 KZ1000 has pod filters and has a similar stutter, but at a higher RPM. I've heard that this can be caused when you take off the airbox and install pod filters. Supposedly the airbox is engineered to provide the optimum intake air travel length which is shortened when you install the pods. I've also heard that one solution to this is to run velocity stacks, but they have their own drawbacks. Can anybody out there confirm this?

Cheers,

Maverick

I always told customers to keep their stock air box. It had a plenum to draw non turbulent air from, and supply to 4 velocity stacks. Pods end up developing the same problems as air box boots eventually and then everything went to pot when the Dyno Jet kits came out.

More
04 Jun 2007 02:51 #146098 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
Maverick wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just trying to reason through this martijn... So if the clip was too high, then the needle was too low, and lowering the clip would raise the needle and give more gas making a richer mixture. Am I thinking about this backwards? :huh: If you want to lean out the mixture in the mid-range, wouldn't you want to raise the clip, thereby lowering the needle?<br><br>Post edited by: Maverick, at: 2007/06/03 23:25

Oohps:blush:

You are right... I made a mess of it. Yes the clip was on the lowest therfore the needle in the highest position.
I lowered the needle by raising the clip:woohoo:

Thanks Maverick!!

More
04 Jun 2007 09:47 #146179 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
What style of pod filters do you have. If you have the round ones try to find a set of the bigger oval ones. I have a set of 36mm flatslides on mine and had a similar problem and I changed to the biggest filter area I could get and it got rid of 90% of the problem. The rest was tuned out with needle setting.

More
04 Jun 2007 16:29 #146279 by Maverick
Yeah, I'm just running the cheap EMGO round pod filters. Guess if I don't get the needle trick to work I'll start shopping for the real deal and spring for some K&N pods. Are they the only ones that make the bigger oval filters? I've also seen that K&N has some two-boot oval filters - I wonder how they would work. Here's another thought: would increasing the length from the filter to the carb intake with some sort of tube/boot help smooth out the airflow? Where's a computational fluid dynamicist when you need one? =) Just curious.

Cheers!

Maverick

1981 KZ1000M1

More
04 Jun 2007 20:53 #146362 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic stutter between 5k-6k?
martijn wrote:

Maverick wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just trying to reason through this martijn... So if the clip was too high, then the needle was too low, and lowering the clip would raise the needle and give more gas making a richer mixture. Am I thinking about this backwards? :huh: If you want to lean out the mixture in the mid-range, wouldn't you want to raise the clip, thereby lowering the needle?<br><br>Post edited by: Maverick, at: 2007/06/03 23:25

Oohps:blush:

You are right... I made a mess of it. Yes the clip was on the lowest therfore the needle in the highest position.
I lowered the needle by raising the clip:woohoo:

Thanks Maverick!!

Double post. Please delete.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/06/05 00:05

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...