kz 1000 won't rev out past a quarter turn of the wrist. Help!

More
29 Mar 2007 17:40 #124736 by tbax
Rescently cleaned a set of carbs. Complete teardown, soaked and everything. I put them back together with all new kits, set them to factory specs, even rebuilt the accelerator pump. Starts and runs ok, but when you give it more than a 1/4 turn throttle, it chokes out and wont rev out, at all. It works fine with another set of carbs I have. Sprayed brake cleaner over the boots and noticed no intake leak. What give's? About ready to buy a set of new 34 mikuni flatslides and get rid of these antiques.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2007 20:01 #125062 by Sandy
Some more info would be good,Bud...year and model.
Also...what else have You done to the bike,as far as tuning goes.
Why did You tear the carbs apart in the first place?
What was the bike doing,and how(if it was) was it running BEFORE You exploded the carbs?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
31 Mar 2007 01:56 #125117 by tbax
Sorry for the vague info. The bike is a 1979 kz 1000 ltd. It has the the 28s with the accelerator pump on them. These are the carbs in question. It runs fine with the other set of 28s I have. As far as tunning goes it has a dyna s, pod filters, and a star racing pipe on it. 117.5 main jets in both sets of carbs and c-clip on 3rd slot of needles. I need both sets of carbs working. It is getting old swapping carbs between the two bikes. Thanks in advance.

More
31 Mar 2007 23:11 #125413 by tbax
C'mon. I know with all this wealth of knowledge on this forum somebodys got an idea for me to try. I know it's been awhile since I was on here regularly but I know you folks have grown in knowledge because it takes knowledge to keep these tempormental kz's going. Fun and rewarding but sometimes very frustrating.

More
02 Apr 2007 03:36 #125751 by FloridaBiker
Is it definite that no other changes happened to the engine than the new carbs? For example, if you just worked on your advance springs..........

Are the slides working freely?

This could be a case of a blocked passage in one or more of the carburetors.

My favorite culprit for your troubles? Low float levels.

More
02 Apr 2007 03:36 #125752 by FloridaBiker
Is it definite that no other changes happened to the engine than the new carbs? For example, if you just worked on your advance springs..........

Are the slides working freely?

This could be a case of a blocked passage in one or more of the carburetors.

My favorite culprit for your troubles? Low float levels.

More
02 Apr 2007 08:33 #125802 by tbax
No Floridabiker, Just changing the carbs makes the bike run fine. The float levels are fine about a 1/4 inch from the gasket of the bowls. With the carbs in question the bike idles descent but when you give it any gas rather riding or at a stand still the carbs will suck air real hard and the bike about dies unless you let off the gas. I blew carb cleaner through each of the passages, air and fuel and it squirted through fine. Thanks for the help though.

More
02 Apr 2007 09:13 #125810 by Wirewulf
You've probably already done this, but if you've got a set of carbs that works on the bike why not take them both apart side-by-side to compare. You might find something simple that is a little off.

More
02 Apr 2007 20:29 #126005 by Bluemeanie
With what you describe, it sounds like lack of gas when twisting the throttle. Make sure all passages are clear (I'm really suspicious of that), Check fuel level, and if it has the accelerator pump, check it for proper operation. Also make sure you are getting full fuel flow from the tank. Let us know... ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!