Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

mercury replacement in carb sticks 16 Mar 2007 06:43 #120649

• mariozappa
  • mariozappa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I just read this in an atricle from the 39th Annual Dealernews International Powersports Dealer Expo here in Indianapolis from the past week.

Ever wonder what would replace mercury in traditional carb sticks? According to tool-masters Motion Pro, it's "secret sauce''--meaning they're not saying. But this non-mercury Sync Pro goes for $99.

www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/Indy/MP_SyncPro.jpg
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mercury replacement in carb sticks 16 Mar 2007 14:05 #120785

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
mariozappa wrote:

....Ever wonder what would replace mercury in traditional carb sticks? www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/Indy/MP_SyncPro.jpg

Why, pray tell, would I want to use mercury in the first place? I feel that, even if it were safe to handle, mercury has so much more mass, that it can not be as responsive as a lighter fluid.
The one I built, for free using stuff from under the kitchen sink :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: depends on a _very_ good damper scheme to regulate both flutter and large vacuum differences, like what may be present when first starting the procedure. Even though I am responding before using mine, I know that with total shut off at my damper point, then the laws of hydraulics/pneumatics won't allow the bar-oil/diesel mix in my tube to be sucked into the carb.
Go ahead, flame me. I can take it! B)

mercury replacement in carb sticks 16 Mar 2007 19:27 #120865

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 432
The Carbtune uses metal rods - no "secret sauce"- works great, costs about the same or less and came to me inside a week from the UK.

www.carbtune.com/

I'd rather not handle mercury.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

mercury replacement in carb sticks 16 Mar 2007 20:16 #120888

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
JR wrote:

The Carbtune uses metal rods - no "secret sauce"- works great, costs about the same or less and came to me inside a week from the UK.

www.carbtune.com/

I'd rather not handle mercury.

You are right JR. That really does look like a good system, but a hundred bucks? Did I read correctly? A HUNDRED BUCKS for something I am going to use a lot that is one thing, but I don't know about a hundred bucks for this. I sort of like free, even if it is, by design, a bit fiddly.

mercury replacement in carb sticks 16 Mar 2007 20:36 #120898

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

mercury replacement in carb sticks 17 Mar 2007 03:06 #120952

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 432
Good stuff aint cheap :)
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

mercury replacement in carb sticks 17 Mar 2007 10:25 #121010

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

mariozappa wrote:

....Ever wonder what would replace mercury in traditional carb sticks? www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/Indy/MP_SyncPro.jpg

Why, pray tell, would I want to use mercury in the first place? I feel that, even if it were safe to handle, mercury has so much more mass, that it can not be as responsive as a lighter fluid.
The one I built, for free using stuff from under the kitchen sink :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: depends on a _very_ good damper scheme to regulate both flutter and large vacuum differences, like what may be present when first starting the procedure. Even though I am responding before using mine, I know that with total shut off at my damper point, then the laws of hydraulics/pneumatics won't allow the bar-oil/diesel mix in my tube to be sucked into the carb.
Go ahead, flame me. I can take it! B)

No flame, but I am puzzled about something.

It seems to me that you can't adjust the dampers without affecting the reading, so I don't see any advantage to them.

I think water with a dye added (for visibility) would work better because it is heavier than oil and diesel fuel.

Mercury works best because it's the heaviest.
KD9JUR

mercury replacement in carb sticks 17 Mar 2007 10:41 #121016

• wireman
  • Visitor
how about just biting the bullet and buy some cheap vacuam gauges?;)

• Page: