Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

75 Z1-B Float Height 14 Mar 2007 12:52 #120153

• kiriuskris
  • kiriuskris's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Guys I got the carbs rebuilt, but the manual says I have to measure the float height from outside the carbs with the fuel level gauge attached to the drain?

Is there a float height I can set it to without having to reassemble the carbs to adjust the floats everytime?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

75 Z1-B Float Height 16 Mar 2007 13:18 #120778

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
kiriuskris wrote:

Guys I got the carbs rebuilt, but the manual says I have to measure the float height from outside the carbs with the fuel level gauge attached to the drain?

Is there a float height I can set it to without having to reassemble the carbs to adjust the floats everytime?

Thanks!

Hi Kris
I'm not sure why no one responded to your question. I'm not the carb guru so take everything I have to say with a grain, so to speak.
You do in fact have to remove the float bowls to adjust the level.
You should not be overly concerned that your service float levels match _EXACTLY_ in all the carbs. Obviously the closer the better. Did you do the rebuild? If you paid someone to do the work, then I would think they should be ready to install. If you did the work, then the rebuild guide or manual should explain how to get your initial float level. The service float level check can be done with a piece of small silicone tubing that will "screw" into the drain hole, provided we are talking about VM slide carbs. You should'nt need to do the tang adjustment more than once or possibly twice, but as I stated earlier, close to the same in all carbs is good enough.
Wish I could help more. I did the adjustments on mine, so if you want encouragement, I will try to lend a little.
Say, I noticed you are fairly new to the site, well me too. Have you gotten in and played around in the KZ info filebase for not model-specific articles on the carbs and especially on a $2 manometer, which you will ultimately need for correct synching? Follow this link.
kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...d/gid,215/Itemid,49/
I built it and am dying to try it out, probably Sunday or maybe next week after I check compression and valve gap.
Edit:
I guess I should have included pics or explanation of my "external fuel tank" made from a inverted, stoppered, 2l pop bottle. It works _REALLY, _REALLY_ good. I'll take some pics if you need me to, but I think the idea should be good enough for you to make your own. The advantage here is the tiny amount of fuel I would spill and the easy clean up, each time I needed to remove carbs.

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/03/16 16:28

75 Z1-B Float Height 16 Mar 2007 15:43 #120815

• beardog63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
not sure if this will help but there is a float adjustment guide in the filebase for a 1976 kz900

75 Z1-B Float Height 16 Mar 2007 18:04 #120843

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
rough adjustment of the floats from the gasket surface to the top of the floats is 24mm.

• Page: