New bike...HELP!

More
11 Mar 2007 15:04 #119264 by napkin13
New bike...HELP! was created by napkin13
Hello all! I just bought a KZ750M CSR and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. It has been having some carb problems and I need to know where I can get a rebuild kit for it. I do believe the fuel jets are too big in it and need to know what size fuel jets I need to fix the backfiring problem and the no-start. Thanks a lot!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2007 15:50 #119274 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic New bike...HELP!
ebay or z1enterprises.com

More
11 Mar 2007 20:15 #119350 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic New bike...HELP!
Welcome to the forum napkin.
I don't know your bike, so can not advise. Lots of mechanics here can and will be in touch soon. Good luck.

More
11 Mar 2007 20:51 #119369 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic New bike...HELP!
It depends on what mods you have on the bike, such as if it has the standard airbox or pods, or after market exhaust and so forth. If air pods you maybe running to lean, hence the backfirng and hard starts. It maybe possible to tamper with your air/fuel adjustment screws and if modded take off carbs and rejet to a larger number.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
12 Mar 2007 07:32 #119456 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic New bike...HELP!
Welcome Napkin, I have the same bike as you, see sig line for specs. Stock jet size's for the '82 M1: main-#112.5 or #115 (type: N100.604), pilot- #45 (type: N151.067) both can be ordered from motorcyclecarbs.com, Jeff @Z1 can also get the mains. Rebuild kits are not available except occasionally on ebay. No start sounds like the enrichener circuit (choke) take carbs apart and clean, make sure all the ports and galleys are unclogged, some are easy to overlook, check that rubber parts are good.
Just a couple of thoughts, hope it helps.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
12 Mar 2007 16:55 #119594 by napkin13
Replied by napkin13 on topic New bike...HELP!
I thank you all for the info! It was a big help. I have another question though...My kickstart will work once (not turn the bike over) but then after that wont work until i try the electric start, then it will work again but only once. Any ideas? Thanks!

More
12 Mar 2007 20:07 #119666 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic New bike...HELP!
I'm not one of the twin experts on the board and I'm sure, if I'm in error, one of them will speak up. The experience I have w/my bike, is that the kickstart is the most reliable. If I understand the manuel, the "choke" doesn't choke the air but "enriches" the amount of gas that gets into the combustion chamber, for startup. You really do need to use the "choke" to get a good start, you can go to half choke pretty quickly. Like I said, if you are using the "choke" and the bike doesn't start, I'd look at really cleaning the carbs, blow cleaner through every hole you can find, (make sure it comes out somewhere, other than where it goes in...that's a clog)after you've taken them apart. You might also look at doing the Wired George ignition coil mod, it gets more voltage to the coil.
Good luck

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
19 Mar 2007 17:48 #121702 by napkin13
Replied by napkin13 on topic New bike...HELP!
I really appreciate everyones help! One of the jets was completely clogged, and a float was stuck up. After a carb rebuild thats what i came up with and it made a world of differnece. No one knows anything about the kickstarter and why it only works once? Thanks!

More
19 Mar 2007 19:39 #121751 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic New bike...HELP!
Welcome Napkin.
On Your kickstarter,I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it might be the return spring inside,behind the cover.It may have weakened over the years or has even broken somewhere.
You should remove the cover and have a look inside there.Is it leaking(seeping) any oil at all?
It could be all gunked up inside,is what I'm getting at.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Mar 2007 07:38 #121893 by 1gewehr
Replied by 1gewehr on topic New bike...HELP!
Probably the return spring on the kickstarter, as stated above. I had that problem on my bike, and the spring had come loose. Easy fix, and obvious once you take the cover off.

More
20 Mar 2007 07:39 #121894 by 1gewehr
Replied by 1gewehr on topic New bike...HELP!
Probably the return spring on the kickstarter, as stated above. I had that problem on my bike, and the spring had come loose. Easy fix, and obvious once you take the cover off.