• Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 09 Mar 2007 10:51 #118680

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Guys
I have not axed Dr. Google this question yet as I would like to avoid "re-enventing the wheel" in a manner of speaking. I need a paper fuel filter element to go inside a sediment/water-separator bowl that I want to put on my bike, at least for a while. I bet you guys can tell me where to go.:blink:
Is there a site where I can track one down, given the dimensions?
It needs to be 2-1/4"(57mm) (max length) by 1-1/4" (32mm) wide with a 1/2" (13mm) hole in the top cap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 09 Mar 2007 13:02 #118712

• wireman
  • Visitor
have you tried an auto parts store like napa?im pretty sure they have dimensions in their filter books;)

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 09 Mar 2007 13:31 #118718

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
wireman wrote:

have you tried an auto parts store like napa?im pretty sure they have dimensions in their filter books;)

Thanks for responding man, wire that is. :P
The first thing they all wanted to know, "what is the part number". Since I could not provide that, then they want to know, "well,,,what does it go on". Oh brother, here we go. I axed them if they could just look at the dimensions and pick it out from the purdy pictures? Like, well,,, no, they claim. They being Auto Zone, Advance auto, Sears, Radio Shack, Kroger and McDonalds.
So, I have been looking on the www.com since I posted this request for help. What I found is just how incredibly simple it is to add one or more, to my shopping cart, provided, of course that I have the part number and what it goes on.

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 09 Mar 2007 13:37 #118723

• wireman
  • Visitor
tell them you want to look at a filter catalog,if they give you any crap tell them you are going into business and tell them you need a catalog for cross referancing things at your shop.;)

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 09 Mar 2007 19:19 #118821

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
wireman wrote:

tell them you want to look at a filter catalog,if they give you any crap tell them you are going into business and tell them you need a catalog for cross referencing things at your shop.;)

Thanks Dude, good approach.
I did not even mention what those geniuses at auto zone told me when I did not have a part number. The kid took me over to a peg-board wall display, pulled down a pleated paper filter on a card that was,like, 1" long by 5/8" diameter, and said "this is the only one we have".
I said "That's not what I'm looking for, I want a fuel filter, like for use on a car". He said "we are out of stock on those". I sort of laughed and said " You're telling me, that is the only fuel filter you have in this store?" "Well, like,,, yea". I left and went to Uncle Wally's where I bought a whole, disposable plastic, ie see-through, in-line unit for like $2.59 or so.
The reason I want it in the first place is because I treated the rust (slight) in my tank with a product called "rust transformer", which is _not_ advertised as a fuel tank treatment. I would rather keep a eye on the fuel _before_ it goes into my engine, hoping to see if the stuff is going to turn into green slim in the clear filter/separator before it turns to green slim in my Mic's. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 10 Mar 2007 04:42 #118873

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
JimatMilkyWay wrote:

... The reason I want it in the first place is because I treated the rust (slight) in my tank with a product called "rust transformer", which is _not_ advertised as a fuel tank treatment....

I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing. Well, I don't know for sure, but isn't that the stuff that turns rust into a sandable primer? It leaves all the rust in place, but turns it black? I'd test some gas in there before you run it!
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 10 Mar 2007 20:51 #119124

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:

JimatMilkyWay wrote:

... The reason I want it in the first place is because I treated the rust (slight) in my tank with a product called "rust transformer", which is _not_ advertised as a fuel tank treatment....

I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing. Well, I don't know for sure, but isn't that the stuff that turns rust into a sandable primer? It leaves all the rust in place, but turns it black? I'd test some gas in there before you run it!

Thanks; good advice; but I understood the resulting residue is chemically stable. I am actually more concerned about the product's adhesion to the tank surfaces that are _not_ rusted, therefore the extra see-through filter I mentioned above.
I got everything back together today except the petcock and tank re-install. I don't like the bolts I took out of the petcock when I started the over-winter project and I want new ones. You should see it; I still have my temporary tank arrangement, and it seriously looks like it has an IV hooked up! I actually sat on it, hit the starter button and the thing started up like it exploded, thank you very much Mr. Lesho.
I made notes on a few more items that need attention, but it is in good enough shape now to test run for a bit.

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 10 Mar 2007 22:18 #119137

• sbodi4d
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You might try a tractor supply house. I work for a New Holland dealer and it sounds like something I have seen on many small tractors.

Fuel Filter Cross-Reference? 11 Mar 2007 20:03 #119345

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
sbodi4d wrote:

You might try a tractor supply house. I work for a New Holland dealer and it sounds like something I have seen on many small tractors.

You nailed it precisely, because that is what Marshall's, the parts store that I have had the best luck with here when I need something for my farm equipment, said too. He was able to track one down, only thing is they wanted nearly $8 for it. That and the fact, that I actually need two of them since I still have the vacuum petcock, and it has two supply lines to carbs, so I am going back to Uncle Wallys to get another Fram G12DP, what ever that means. It's big and ugly but I want it on there till I decide all is good with the treatment I used.
Again thanks to all who responded. I sure missed a gorgeous day to ride today. The tree service came out last Thursday and cut limbs off a really giant pecan tree over-hanging my house and I cut more out of it all day. Now still have to try and get it cleaned up this week.

• Page: