Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is there something missing ... 04 Mar 2007 12:12 #117283

• rckz
  • rckz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
... from the bottom of the fuel bowl associated with the accelerator pump? There are three screw holes that look fairly clean like something has been there recently.

Also, what are the clear tubes doing there? Aren't they attached to vacuum ports, like the black one going to the petcock?

I just got the bike recently, never had it running yet, though I understood it to be in running condition, more or less.

Thanks.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/04 16:33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is there something missing ... 04 Mar 2007 13:13 #117293

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
From the looks of it you're missing the sensor cover and mounting screws, as well as the diaphragm and spring (shown in pic below).

Those two clear hoses are the float bowl vents tubes, and are usually routed around the air filter lid on the airbox towards the back of the bike.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/03/04 16:45

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/03/04 19:52
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Is there something missing ... 04 Mar 2007 16:19 #117330

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
It is for the vacuum shut off for the smaller VM carbs (most 26's, 24' and 22's) . If one is needed it would have a small hole in the center of the depression for the pin on the vacuum diaphram (part #23) to stick through.
Most 28's dont have them installed. If yours does not have a hole in the middle, one is not needed.
Fish

Is there something missing ... 06 Mar 2007 11:58 #117782

• rckz
  • User
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Those two clear hoses are the float bowl vents tubes, and are usually routed around the air filter lid on the airbox towards the back of the bike.

Thanks. I'm still wondering, the ports where the float bowl vent tubes come from look identical to the port on #3 that controls the petcock. Isn't that vacuum?

Is there something missing ... 06 Mar 2007 12:01 #117785

• rckz
  • User
The Fish wrote:

It is for the vacuum shut off for the smaller VM carbs (most 26's, 24' and 22's) . If one is needed it would have a small hole in the center of the depression for the pin on the vacuum diaphram (part #23) to stick through.
Most 28's dont have them installed. If yours does not have a hole in the middle, one is not needed.
Fish

Thanks for the clarification. Mine are 28s, and there's no hole in the center, so I guess I'm good.

Post edited by: rckz, at: 2007/03/07 11:11

Is there something missing ... 06 Mar 2007 13:20 #117810

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
My 28mm on the KZ1000s look just like yours with nothing mounted to the place you are wondering about. The 2 clear lines are just breather lines, they are not vacuum. They would originally run back to your airbox where there would be 2 nipples for them to plug into. If you dont have stock airbox, these are just left running back under the seat or whatever and not plugged into anything.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Is there something missing ... 06 Mar 2007 19:49 #117926

• rckz
  • User
rckz wrote:

RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Thanks. I'm still wondering, the ports where the float bowl vent tubes come from look identical to the port on #3 that controls the petcock. Isn't that vacuum?

Well, never mind. I just did a bit of searching and found this ...

RonKZ650 wrote:

You should have a vaccuum outlet port on one of the carbs, my older bikes always had it on #3 carb.

Silly me. I thought all four carbs were the same. Guess I was wrong. I learned something today. Thanks, guys.

Is there something missing ... 07 Mar 2007 04:22 #118001

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
On your #2 float bowl, next to the front screw for where the shut off would mount, there is a small vacuum passage for the diaphram, make sure that the carb body does not have a matching vacuum passage in it and plug it if it does.(it will cause a vacuum leak and make you pull your hair out trying to sync your carbs)
This can happen when people swap float bowls from one carb set to another, as the VM 22, 24, 26 and 28 (3 screw tops) all share the same float bowls. Most 28mm dont have the passage in the body, some 26mm do have it.
And make sure that the clip (#17) and brass weight (#18) and ball bearing (#19) are present in all accelerator passages.
Fish

Is there something missing ... 07 Mar 2007 08:38 #118055

• rckz
  • User
The Fish wrote:

On your #2 float bowl, next to the front screw for where the shut off would mount, there is a small vacuum passage for the diaphram, make sure that the carb body does not have a matching vacuum passage in it and plug it if it does.(it will cause a vacuum leak and make you pull your hair out trying to sync your carbs)
This can happen when people swap float bowls from one carb set to another, as the VM 22, 24, 26 and 28 (3 screw tops) all share the same float bowls. Most 28mm dont have the passage in the body, some 26mm do have it.
And make sure that the clip (#17) and brass weight (#18) and ball bearing (#19) are present in all accelerator passages.
Fish

Thanks so much for the help ... very much appreciated. Frankly, I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm sure it will become clear to me when I have the carbs sitting in front of me.

What do the numbers refer to? Are they from that diagram that was posted by rrrr, which has since disappeared? I assume from the context that these are parts related to the accelerator pump.

BTW, I just read a post by wiredgeorge implying that it might be better to 'simply' rejet and disable the pumps. Comments? What parts are needed to convert?

-Doug

• Page: