Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rubber Vs Stainless Needles 28 Feb 2007 13:54 #116147

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Let's try this again for the third time, shall I!? I apparently threw away two posts in a row, somehow.

My VM's are seeping fuel. The stainless steel float needles are bright, shiny, clean and show no signs of erosion on the side. I have not tried polishing the seats, like by hand, using a q-tip and some rouge, for example, or should I not even touch the seats with anything.
From your experience, do the stainless needles seal completely or do I need to replace them with rubber tipped ones?:huh:

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/28 16:56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rubber Vs Stainless Needles 28 Feb 2007 14:14 #116151

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
In my opinion, the rubber ones would seal better. Once you see a ring around the tip, where it sits from the hole it's closing, replace it/them with new ones, as they aren't sealing as good anymore. I haven't seen metal ones in a long time. Most rebuild kits come with rubber-tipped ones, probably why I recommend them. ;)
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Rubber Vs Stainless Needles 28 Feb 2007 15:05 #116168

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
Either type will work fine and you could leave your gas on forever theoretically and not leak a drop. I had an old H2 that the petcock would leak when it was in the on or reserve position (vacuum operated petcock), but the petcock would not leak in the prime position, so I left it on prime for many years and the carbs never seeped a bit. If your needles/seats are leaking it's time to replace them. No use fighting them leaking.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Rubber Vs Stainless Needles 28 Feb 2007 22:45 #116303

• JimatMilkyWay
  • JimatMilkyWay's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
RonKZ650 wrote:

Either type will work fine and you could leave your gas on forever theoretically and not leak a drop. I had an old H2 that the petcock would leak when it was in the on or reserve position (vacuum operated petcock), but the petcock would not leak in the prime position, so I left it on prime for many years and the carbs never seeped a bit. If your needles/seats are leaking it's time to replace them. No use fighting them leaking.

Thanks Corey and Ron for the help.
Absolutely stopping fuel at the float/bowl is in fact all I will ultimately accept, whatever it takes.
While the carbs were __supposed__ to have been rebuilt and while they __are__ very clean inside and out, they still seep. Not sure exactly which just yet, as I am going through electrical issues now and wish to finish that before taking carbs off, again, and again and,,,.
Will get back to youse guys.

• Page: