• Page:

TOPIC:

Simplest of fixes forgotten 26 Feb 2007 14:54 #115619

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok as many of you may know I am wrestling this 77 650 through many types of problems not the least of which is lean carbs.

I turned the mixture screws out (2.5 + turns) and still needed to apply choke on the freeway to get enough gas into the engine. Blah blah blah.....

When I was younger riding the two strokes, I would "fix" ailing bikes by rapping them up to redline, under load shifting of course, until the engine would stop sputtering. (Some think lower rpms are better for engines I guess.) I decided to try this fix with my four cycle.

I'll be damned if it worked. A couple of freeway on ramps of sputtering, coughing acceleration up to a reluctant redline in first through third and I have excised one small demon from my carbs. The damn things work now, and don't sputter anymore.. There must have been some blockage or some whatever who f'ing cares now.

Best yet, I have my needles backed to 1.25 turns now (half of what they used to be) and never need to pull the choke on the freeway. :woohoo:

Crank up the R's on a reluctant old engine, they seem to like it and perhaps will develop an appreciation and become more cooperative.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Simplest of fixes forgotten 26 Feb 2007 15:50 #115637

• boomboom45
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
if all 4 screws are screwed in, how many turns out did you do?

Simplest of fixes forgotten 26 Feb 2007 23:38 #115715

• gpzrox
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I believe its called the "Italian tune up", not for the light of heart, and you'd better know your engines basic condition before you do it.

That being said, I have done it before too.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

Simplest of fixes forgotten 27 Feb 2007 00:42 #115717

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
we had an old GMC Seira dually with a 350in it... she had been dicked with in her younger days (heavy cam, high compression pistons holly 4bbl and other random goodies)

SOmetimes it would run so friggin rough you wondered if she was about to quit for good. But we would take her out on a nice long country road, make the spedo needle point to the floor (kinda felt like riding a mechanical bull) and vola she was 100% better the next day.

Post edited by: hardr0ck68, at: 2007/02/27 03:43
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Simplest of fixes forgotten 27 Feb 2007 10:50 #115821

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
...I enjoy doing it! :):laugh:
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Simplest of fixes forgotten 27 Feb 2007 14:12 #115852

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
Boomboom-
From all the way in, to out two and a half turns. Now it is at about one and a quarter.

Now there seems to be a flat spot in the power band. I am going to try to first replace the needles that were in the carbs before I rebuilt them, then I will try to lift them up a little bit (via the c clips on the needles themselves) to get some gas into the throats sooner.

Off to more experimentation.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• Page: