Using citron juice to clean carbs

More
26 Feb 2007 10:07 #115554 by Conti
Using citron juice to clean carbs was created by Conti
Hello,

I haven't read such a tip on this message board. To clean carbs, one can soak them into a mix of water and citron juice. Put everything into a saucepan and leave to simmer for approximately 15 minutes on a low heat. Use some already prepared citron juice, don't squeeze real lemons! :P

Of course, you'll have to clean them with acetone first. The carbs will be far cleaner, and their color will change, they look dull.

Here's a picture:

The 2 carbs on the left are already cleaned and (quickly) polished. The 2 ones on the right just come out of the saucepan.

I know it can look strange, but it works. However, I warn you the stuff smells horrible during the cooking time.

PS: I'm French, so I had to share this recipe with you. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2007 10:22 #115557 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs
Conti wrote:

Hello,

I haven't read such a tip on this message board. To clean carbs, one can soak them into a mix of water and citron juice. Put everything into a saucepan and leave to simmer for approximately 15 minutes on a low heat. Use some already prepared citron juice, don't squeeze real lemons! :P ....The 2 carbs on the left are already cleaned and (quickly) polished. The 2 ones on the right just come out of the saucepan....

Kool trick. What tool(s) and medium do you use for polishing, how much time should it take, and how long should shine last if carbs are not leaking fuel at all? I could probably figure out tools to polish the larg(er) surfaces, but then cleaning off the polish compound would confound me.
I have had little to no luck polishing alumimiunimmiualum(sp).

More
26 Feb 2007 10:31 #115562 by Conti
Replied by Conti on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs
I use Belgom alu and #000 steel wool . The polishing process is very fast, thanks to the Belgom alu efficiency.
I don't know how long it will last, but at least it looks very nice right now. B)

More
26 Feb 2007 10:32 #115564 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs
Interesting.
I have used baking soda which worked quite well but had not heard of citron (lemon ?) juice. I have to admit I would be a bit reluctant to use anything acidic - even mildly acidic since acid will react with metal.

Let us know haow it works out when you reassemble.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
26 Feb 2007 10:40 #115565 by Conti
Yes, I meant lemon, not citron (which is a French word, ooops! :blush:). It's not agressive if you don't put too much lemon juice. I put approximately 50cl of lemon juice with 1,5l of water. It seems to be a widely used "low-cost" method here.

As regards to the polishing, here's a closeup:

Only 10 minutes polishing work per carb, without any tool except some steel wool.

Post edited by: Conti, at: 2007/02/26 13:40

More
26 Feb 2007 10:53 #115572 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs
Looks great :woohoo:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
26 Feb 2007 11:05 #115575 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs
Thank you Conti, I am ready to clean the carbs on my 750 and may try this.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
26 Feb 2007 11:33 #115586 by Conti
Some people seem to use more lemon juice...

Anyway, using no more than 50cl of lemon juice for 1l of water won't do any damage. One can drink pure lemon juice but I wouldn't try with chlorhydric acid. :laugh:

On that page (written in French): www.motos-anglaises.com/technique/nettoyagecarb.htm you can see before/after pictures of a carburetor soaked into lemon juice (that's the 2 pictures below the saucepan).

More
26 Feb 2007 13:05 #115603 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs
Conti wrote:

Hello,

I haven't read such a tip on this message board. To clean carbs, one can soak them into a mix of water and citron juice. Put everything into a saucepan and leave to simmer for approximately 15 minutes on a low heat. Use some already prepared citron juice, don't squeeze real lemons!

Now we know a little more of the story

More
26 Feb 2007 14:05 #115611 by Conti
KaZooCruiser wrote:
Now we know a little more of the story [/quote]

Well, you got some additionnal pics now. :lol:

The lemon + belgom alu + steel wool combination is really excellent. I was a bit sceptical when my friends recommended this method. Now I confirm it does work very well. I didn't expect it to work so well. :laugh: And it doesn't cost a fortune. :cheer:

Post edited by: Conti, at: 2007/02/26 18:28

More
26 Feb 2007 15:09 - 26 Aug 2009 11:21 #115623 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Using citron juice to clean carbs

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 11:21 by KZ250LTD.