Throttle Cable Conversion?

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Feb 2007 20:31 #115169 by Kellen79_650
Throttle Cable Conversion? was created by Kellen79_650
I am looking at purchasing an internal throttle and am wondering if there is any way to convert a kz 650 from dual throttle cable to a single? Slightly off the wall question, but I am curious.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
25 Feb 2007 03:42 #115199 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
I believe you're trying to eliminate the return cable. It's there as a safety measure but it's not absolutely necessary for the throttle to function. Just pray you never break the return spring.

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Feb 2007 09:30 #115249 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
i ran dirtbike style throttles on my bikes for years,never had a return spring problem with 26-29mm style carbs.im never run cv carbs before though;)

More
25 Feb 2007 10:59 #115274 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
i don't have a second cable on either bike....never had a problem. (yet:whistle: )

• Kellen79_650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Feb 2007 13:43 #115308 by Kellen79_650
Replied by Kellen79_650 on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
Yeah it's the "yet" that I am worried about. I know for example that the ridiculously priced Exile Cycles internal throttle is advertised as able to convert a carb to a single cable system because of the spring in the grip. That is wonderful except I don't want to spend $200 but rather $50 on an equivalent off of ebay. Well, guess I will go ahead and try it and let you guys know if I end up in the hospital.

"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs NOTHING to be a Patriot."

~Mark Twain

More
25 Feb 2007 14:57 #115329 by arobsum
just check out the return spring every so often to head off any possible problems and you should be fine.

More
25 Feb 2007 15:15 #115332 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
arobsum wrote:

just check out the return spring every so often to head off any possible problems and you should be fine.

You know, that might be a good component to replace periodically just for safety sake.

More
25 Feb 2007 15:19 #115333 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
Could be mistaken, but don't recall any of the classic Brit bikes with anything more than a single throttle cable. My first rice burner was a CB750 Honda which had both cables (one pulls open, the other pulls closed). Maybe it's a product liability thing.

Various throttle helper gadgets are available. Another alternative is to substitute a weaker spring from the local hardware store. Yet another is to use both cables and remove the return spring, but this is dangerous (especially until adapting to it) and in a tip-over situation allows the engine to rev way over the limit while on its side.

Just guessing, but seems the OEM return springs are designed strong enough to help overcome an owner's failure to lube the throttle linkages at both handlebar and carb.

Have experimented with all the above, and resolved to using both cables with the stock spring and a friction type throttle helper as a poor man's cruise control.

One advantage of using both cables is having the closing cable on hand for use as a spare should the opening cable break.
:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Feb 2007 15:33 - 21 Feb 2013 21:26 #115338 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 21:26 by H1Vindicator.

More
25 Feb 2007 16:06 #115344 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
Return spring break? Hell, that's why the kill switch is there :P

More
25 Feb 2007 20:11 #115419 by stone_cold
Replied by stone_cold on topic Throttle Cable Conversion?
My '76 Suzuki GT550 has two cables and no return spring. When the return cable breaks you can't close the throttle.

I left my house one afternoon and rode about a half mile from my house and let off the throttle to stop at a stop sign. To my suprise the bike didn't slow down. The first instinct was to just pull the clutch which I did. The engine reved really high and I hit the kill switch.

I live outside of a city so there wasn't much traffic and I was able to quickly shut the bike down. If that were to have happened in traffic it could have been interesting.

To get home I started the bike and used my left hand to push the throttles closed after I shifted into 2nd. I was able to make it home in 2nd. I learned a lot that day :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Feb 2007 21:08 #115433 by arobsum
H1Vindicator wrote:

Patton wrote:
One advantage of using both cables is having the closing cable on hand for use as a spare should the opening cable break. :)

;) . JMK.[/quote]thats exactly what i used mine for!!
;)