later style vm28 needle positions

More
24 Feb 2007 13:00 #115039 by arobsum
later style vm28 needle positions was created by arobsum
i have a set of later style vm28's. the needles do not have extra clip slots for needle adjustment. just one clip slot. my question is, what would be the best jet size for my kz900?(see my sig). and how else could i adjust these? thanks for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2007 13:24 #115299 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic later style vm28 needle positions
anyone?

More
25 Feb 2007 18:24 #115385 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic later style vm28 needle positions
Sorry to say Captain but that is a rare question ya got there

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
25 Feb 2007 19:01 #115396 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic later style vm28 needle positions
When I was tuning my GL 1000 Goldwing, The needles were the same style as what you have. I ended up getting an assortment of tiny washer from Radio Shack to shim the needles up. It was a variety pack that they sell.
That was a few years ago, now Sudco sells washer just for this purpose. The Radio Shack washer are cheaper though, but the Sudco washer are more precise.
Fish

More
25 Feb 2007 21:06 #115432 by arobsum
The Fish wrote:

When I was tuning my GL 1000 Goldwing, The needles were the same style as what you have. I ended up getting an assortment of tiny washer from Radio Shack to shim the needles up. It was a variety pack that they sell.
That was a few years ago, now Sudco sells washer just for this purpose. The Radio Shack washer are cheaper though, but the Sudco washer are more precise.
Fish

aahh, gotcha. i wouldn't have thought about that. i got a set of 120 main jets i guess i could use...just gonna have to shim these up a hair. thanks for the info.:)

More
26 Feb 2007 03:17 #115470 by The Fish
Try just the jets first.
The GL carbs were CV type and from what I remember, the peice in the carb that held the needle in place( it was threaded in the slide) needed to be modified to allow the needle to free float. With out the mod, the needle would bind in the needle jet as it wouldn't "center" itself.
I'm not familiar with the later solid needle VM as all the ones I've messed with have had the multi slotted needle. Perhaps a needle from the early style would interchange?
Fish

More
27 Feb 2007 15:43 #115871 by The Fish
If they are like the VM 28's I worked on today, shimming the needle wont work. They have the spring below the clips on the needles and shimming the bottom of them wont do anything.
The set I had today had a thick plastic washer on top of the clip and a thin washer below the clip. You could probably swap the washers and have the needle raised about 1.5 notches, or leave the washers off the top and have a the needle raised about 2 notches.
Fish

More
27 Feb 2007 16:35 #115884 by arobsum
The Fish wrote:

If they are like the VM 28's I worked on today, shimming the needle wont work. They have the spring below the clips on the needles and shimming the bottom of them wont do anything.
The set I had today had a thick plastic washer on top of the clip and a thin washer below the clip. You could probably swap the washers and have the needle raised about 1.5 notches, or leave the washers off the top and have a the needle raised about 2 notches.
Fish

that is exactly what i am dealing with. a fat plastic washer on top.

More
28 Feb 2007 03:20 #115980 by The Fish
If you move the fat top washer under the clip, you could shim the top of the needle (with those Radio Shack/ Sudco washers)to be close to 1 notch at a time.
For example,(hypothetically)if 4 of the RS washers are the same thickness of the Fat plastic washer, you could fine tune by remoing 1 RS washer ( from the top of the clip) at a time to raise the needle in incriments.
Fish