What are those plugs on my carbs?

More
22 Feb 2007 14:02 #114498 by Conti
What are those plugs on my carbs? was created by Conti
Hello,

I noticed something strange on my newly bought KZ1000ST. There're some caps on 3 of the carbs. Here's a picture:

Here's a closeup:

The carbs are (non-US) Mikuni VM28SS.

BTW, the motorbike carburation isn't good. I only rode the motorbike for 30km for the moment. I'll fully clean the carbs. One interesting thing to notice is that the carburetor where there was no cap looks different than the others inside:

Do you know what those plugs are for? Should there be any caps on them? Should I remove the caps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2007 14:19 #114506 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
There is a device called a Manometer that measures vacume differences between the four carbs, for the purposes of balancing. Those four caps cover the hose fittings that the technician uses to hook up all four individual carbs to the meter.

The missing cap meant a massive vacume leak on that carb. This had to have contributed to your rough running engine (an assumption) .

Get another cap, or replace all four.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
22 Feb 2007 14:27 #114510 by Conti
Replied by Conti on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
Qdude wrote:

There is a device called a Manometer that measures vacume differences between the four carbs, for the purposes of balancing. Those four caps cover the hose fittings that the technician uses to hook up all four individual carbs to the meter.

The missing cap meant a massive vacume leak on that carb. This had to have contributed to your rough running engine (an assumption) .

Get another cap, or replace all four.

Thanks Qdude! :)

I was hesitating between:
a) find and put a new cap
b) remove the 3 caps
The good answer was a)
:)

More
22 Feb 2007 14:52 #114518 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
Are you sure those are for the manometer? They look like bowl vents to me, if they are vents then they would need long hoses connected to them and NOT plugs. I would go to wiredgeorges website and ask, or see what your manual says....by the way what year is this bike?

Another thought (and I may be all wrong), are they the stock carbs for that bike?

Do all 4 intake manifolds have a similiar brass fitting?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
22 Feb 2007 15:30 #114537 by Conti
OKC_Kent wrote:

Are you sure those are for the manometer? They look like bowl vents to me, if they are vents then they would need long hoses connected to them and NOT plugs. I would go to wiredgeorges website and ask, or see what your manual says....by the way what year is this bike?

June 1979.

OKC_Kent wrote:

Another thought (and I may be all wrong), are they the stock carbs for that bike?

Well, I don't know. I don't have any information about the history of that bike.

OKC_Kent wrote:

Do all 4 intake manifolds have a similiar brass fitting?

Yes.

This is a European KZ1000ST. The carburetors aren't the same as the American version. There's no accelerator pump on those.

More
22 Feb 2007 15:42 #114547 by Conti
I had a look at that page:
www.wgcarbs.com/88724.html

However, the pictures of the carbs do not seem to tally with my carbs. :S

More
22 Feb 2007 16:17 #114556 by The Fish
Replied by The Fish on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
Put a hose on the brass fittings and blow through it. If the air comes out through the bowl area, then it is a vent. If it goes to the engine side of the carbs, then it would be a vacuum source. I would think that they are bowl vents. Check all of them, because on some models, the vacuum operated petcock uses a simular fitting and draws vacuum from the engine side of the carbs. Bowl vents should be vented to the air and not plugged.
The US versions dont have 4 individual vents on our carbs, usuall they have 2 vents on the outer carbs (see pic- the 2 pairs of carbs are linked together and vent through 1 hose) and some have a vacuum source on #3 for the petcock.
Fish

Dang it. Edit again. Whats different about the carb that you have circled?

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/02/22 19:18

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/02/22 19:20

Post edited by: The Fish, at: 2007/02/22 19:22
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Feb 2007 16:18 #114557 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
Those aren't ST carbs. Here's what the right carbs look like. I don't think those came stock on any KZ.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2007 16:26 #114560 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
Conti wrote:

...caps on 3 of the carbs

Do you know what those plugs are for? Should there be any caps on them? Should I remove the caps?

With engine running, is there suction (vacuum) at the brass fitting? If so, they should be capped. If you have a vacuum operated petcock, it is conceivable the uncapped fitting should have a hose running to the petcock. If there are similar fittings on the intake manifolds (holding the carbs to the engine), those on the intake manifolds are the vacuum nipples (should be capped) and the fittings shown in your picture would logically be for something else besides vacuum (perhaps for vent hoses as already suggested). :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Feb 2007 23:48 #114668 by Conti
Patton wrote:

With engine running, is there suction (vacuum) at the brass fitting? If so, they should be capped. If you have a vacuum operated petcock, it is conceivable the uncapped fitting should have a hose running to the petcock. If there are similar fittings on the intake manifolds (holding the carbs to the engine), those on the intake manifolds are the vacuum nipples (should be capped) and the fittings shown in your picture would logically be for something else besides vacuum (perhaps for vent hoses as already suggested). :)

I know the petcock is vacuum operated since there's a prime position on it. There was a hose connected to the petcock. I'll check on the bike on this WE how that hose was connected (the bike isn't at home right now).

RonKZ650

Those aren't ST carbs. Here's what the right carbs look like. I don't think those came stock on any KZ.

I checked for other pictures of ST carbs, and those carbs definitely aren't stock.

How can identify them?

More
23 Feb 2007 11:29 #114780 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic What are those plugs on my carbs?
Conti wrote:

How can identify them?

tinyurl.com/28q9p2

Ask wiredgeorge at the link above..

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
23 Feb 2007 14:17 #114812 by Conti
OKC_Kent wrote:

Conti wrote:

How can identify them?

tinyurl.com/28q9p2

Ask wiredgeorge at the link above..

OK. I'll take some closeup pictures of the carbs on this WE too. Some numbers are supposed to be written on the carbs, I'll try to locate them. Than will be easier when the carbs are clean. :laugh: