• Page:

TOPIC:

Needle adjustments 12 Feb 2007 11:50 #111860

• Qdude
  • Qdude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
I rebuilt the carbs. I used the new needles (the big ones that go in the main jets on the sliders). In doing so, I probably messed up the needle setting. Duh. I did use the same slot on the new ones as was on the old ones.

Bike runs great until I get onto the freeway. Give it a little time and it starts to run rough. Roughness is mellowed out a little by applying the choke. Oooooh.

I believe that the needles might be too deep. When the bike is pressed to run at higher R's for a period of time, the too deep needles lean out the mix. This lean mix causes the bike to run poorly after time (a mile or so). The choke adds some extra fuel which helps.

I am thinking of throwing the old needles back in. Either that or raising them a slot and testing them out. But wouldn't it be easier to just go with what worked prior? One less variable for the overall diagnostic.

The bike had apparently been re-jetted for the pods and pipes. Would this have meant different needle sizes? Meaning the standard needles offered in the rebuild kits are the wrong ones?

Is it possible to take the tops off of the carbs lose the two screws from the plunger tops and work out and switch the needles without messing up the slider balance that I worked so hard at?

Do I sound really really needy to you?

My bike still does not like the rain, fortunately there has not been much of it lately.

Q
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Needle adjustments 12 Feb 2007 12:00 #111862

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Are all of your needle settings the same? Is the clip in the same slot on all of them? It also sounds like you are running lean when you put on the choke. It is possible. Just count the amount of revolutions very carefully or loosen nut just to loosen screw and put nut back lightly and back out screw. All your needles are supposed to be on the same setting
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Needle adjustments 12 Feb 2007 12:10 #111867

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Yes all of the needles are clipped the same. How would/does the choke lean out the mix? I thought the choke added gas/restricted air to a cold engine. Wouldn't different needle settings just make the engine run rough consistently? I am puzzled by the change in engine performance. It runs well for a bit, then runs poorly. Leaning out and heating up perhaps? I do believe that this would be a mixture problem not a static setting issue. What do you suppose?

When I exit the freeway, after about a mile at lower R's, the bike goes back to running smoothly again. Cooling off perhaps? How does a bike run when it gets too lean? Simalarly to how it runs when it is too rich?

Am I mistaken about the choke thing all?
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter

Needle adjustments 12 Feb 2007 15:46 #111903

• Nelson
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
wow! confusing mess of symptoms. if it runs well for a period of time when fully warmed up, there's probably nothing wrong with the jetting.

sounds more like something inconsistent like dirt or water in the fuel, or ignition troubles. maybe plugged fuel filters?

tough to say without seeing it

sometimes workin on the bike stirs up trouble. like crud at the bottom of the tank that sat there harmlessly until you took the tank off and sloshed it about. i dunnno
Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Needle adjustments 13 Feb 2007 01:44 #112007

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Alright, changing the fuel filter tomorrow regardless. Ther has been crud flowin' about lately, oh well.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.

• Page: