Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

upper chamber cover KZ750E 10 Feb 2007 18:19 #111436

• KZErider
  • KZErider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm new here and I'm trying to follow the forums intruction. I hope I'm on the right forum for my questions. I checked the search and already got a lot of them answered.

After I pulled the tank, to replace it, I noticed that the carb upper chamber covers, the two inside ones, are kinda discolered, sort of black/blue. Could that be a sign of backfiring, or wrong mixture, or that they just need a good cleaning? This bike has the 4 individual K&N air filters, with all the factory air cleaning sytem removed. I've gotten a pretty good idea of what to look forward to, but I don't know what the last owner did. Is this typical or do I need to look further into it? If anyone can help me decide on the best approach (order of process), I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks.:huh:

'81 KZ750E project
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

upper chamber cover KZ750E 10 Feb 2007 18:59 #111440

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Regarding the carb tops the two outer ones are generally shiny chrome or polished aluminum. The two inner ones are usually dull and may be discolured but blue black.......no.not really. All this is assuming you have the Keihin carbs - should be stamped on one of the outer bodies. If they are discouloured due to backfiring through the carbs then it must have been pretty bad and would more than likely have melted the rubber slide diaphragms which would be just under the covers. If you do remove the carb tops for a look be very gentle. Those diaphragms cant have holes in them and the only way I know to get replaced is the send your old ones to the UK - yes expensive. Keep your finger crossed that the discolouration is just dirt.

If you dont have a manual then check here
kz.mbsween.com/
and scroll down to the bottom of the page for a copy of the shop manual. mbsween is a member here.
Good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

upper chamber cover KZ750E 10 Feb 2007 20:36 #111465

• KZErider
  • User
Thanks, JR,

I do have a great manual. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the Kawasaki Shop Manual. I guess I'm just being a little shy about gettin' with it. Or, I'm just trying to get some good information before I get the cart ahead of the horse. Also it seems like this process is like peeling an onion -- you find a new layer the deeper you go. The more I got into your explanation, the more I got to thinking that that would have had to be a hell of a backfiring problem, hunh?!!:laugh:

I think that what I have to do is get after it so I can have some real quetions for y'all!! :lol:
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

upper chamber cover KZ750E 11 Feb 2007 08:48 #111522

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
Biggest problem is often taking the first step. Once you get stuck in it will be fine. As to what to do first maybe a compression test as the results of that will tell you whether you need to take the head off or not. If you do a search you'll find lots of info how to test and compression testers are cheap.
If you you have compression then all you need is spark and gas. After compression test check valve clearances and next check spark and leave the carbs to last.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

upper chamber cover KZ750E 11 Feb 2007 09:03 #111533

• JimatMilkyWay
  • User
KZErider wrote:

I'm new here and I'm trying to follow the forums intruction....

Welcome to the post, KZErider.
You will find a lot of help here, regardless of the topic to address. Just don't misinterpret a reply if someone trying to help seems to come across like an arrogant jerk. It could happen.

upper chamber cover KZ750E 11 Feb 2007 09:42 #111547

• KZErider
  • User
So far everyone has been great! Like just now! Thanks, JR, your experience has really helped me already. I can see now that my approach was going to be backward from what really makes a lot of sense. Although I rode a KZ1300 back in the '79-'80 era, I never worked on it. I'm sure this guy who hated my guts put sugar or something in my tank when I let his buddy use it to get home when he came in from offshore and needed a way to get home. The mechanic had no other explanation as to why it quit the way it did.:angry: So even though I rode a big naked bike for a while, and was quite the demon on it(I survived inspite of myself),I never developed the mechanical notions and that's why I'm getting such a kick out being here!

Thanks y'all!!!

• Page: