re-setting needle clips after changing exhaust and air filters

More
18 Dec 2006 13:52 #100320 by wjpsotka
Just bought my first motorcyle in 20 years... a 1977 kz1000 (guessing B model, Std.? how do you tell?) with VM26SS Carburetors. Just cleaning out the carbs and noticed 3 out of 4 jet needles were set on the 5th clip setting and one was on the 3rd setting. The manual states factory setting for all 4 is the 3rd. The bike has aftermarket individual pod filters and an aftermarket 4-1 header. Not sure which notch to set the clips. Should I go back to factory setting (3rd), or return all of them to the 5th. The jet needles are the factory original 5CN8. The factory main jet of 107.5 has been replaced with 102 jets. Also, when I removed the bleed pipe there were no needle jets above them as the schematics in the Clymer manual state there should be. I also noticed that the throttle was set higher than the idle adjusting screw could reach so it had no effect whatsoever. The carbs were full of varnish and residue but I have cleaned and blown all of the jets and passages. Now it's time to put it back together. The guy got the motor running somehow and it sounded pretty good but wouldn't idle. I'm looking forward to firing this puppy up to see what I've got! Any info regarding jet size, jet needle size and clip choice, purchasing needle jets, etc. would be appreciated as this is my first Carb Cleaning and Tuning attempt-The shop wanted $300 + parts to do this. I'd like to find out why these Kz's have such a following. It's fun so far. Thanks Buds.

Post edited by: wjpsotka, at: 2006/12/18 20:07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2006 19:38 #100386 by kzwolfsr
I am not much of a carb man maself but due to the fact that I just cleaned my carbs I might be able to help you out. If I was you I would return the needle clips to the third setting, all of them then since its not the factory exhaust I would try a jet bigger than what you have rite now and that might compensate for the more air condition in the cylinders. Plus you should get a better idle. As for the idle adjustment thing you were talking about, I am not to clear on what you are saying???

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
18 Dec 2006 20:16 #100398 by arobsum
my 1977 kz1000 has pod filters and an open 4 into 1 exhaust...my needles are set at #3 and my main jets are 120. it seems to run great. i hope that helps. oh, by the way, i have vm28's on mine. (?) it could change things, maybe not.

More
19 Dec 2006 06:14 #100471 by Bluemeanie
You say that the factory main jet 107.5 was replaced with 102's? Thats a big problem right there. It should be one or two sizes UP from the 107.5's!!! Check and find a starting point and go from there. Good luck

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
20 Dec 2006 09:00 #100673 by wjpsotka
Thankyou for the response. I'll move the jet size up and go from there.