Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 10 Oct 2018 19:39 #792149

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Dale sure put up
A show this pass weekend at Barber...
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 14 Oct 2018 19:34 #792313

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622

spdygon wrote: Dale sure put up
A show this pass weekend at Barber...

WOW! :woohoo:

Check this out!!!
1:32 on >>>>>>>>>>>
3:50 ^^^^ :evil:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 22 Oct 2018 15:02 #792690

• Dr. Gamma
  • Dr. Gamma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Dale Quarterley and his GPz1100 based Superbike have been the class of the field in this years CSRA season. Quarterley is a seasoned pro, and knows his way around a race track. His lap times are very consistent lap after lap!!! Its also real hard to rattle someone like Quarerley with all of his years of racing two and four wheelers.

The GPz1100 based Superbike he rides is almost bulletproof, and makes some huge horsepower. Quarterley did most of the work on building this bike, and the preparation of it. Don't know if he did the motor in house or not. Either way, it does make some very serious horsepower!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 22 Oct 2018 17:01 #792693

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
Nice to be along for the ride :)

:evil:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 22 Oct 2018 17:04 #792694

• GPZ1100_Rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
You've got me interested in seeing the show at Road America next year. God willing, and the creek don't rise, I will ride my '81 GPz1100 there, as a show of support! Living in Minneapolis, it should be a decent ride there and back.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 22 Oct 2018 17:44 #792696

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
Don't know if the CSRA will be racing on the Road America Moto America weekend next year. They might be, but I don't know if they are for sure!!!

I have been to most of the race tracks in the U.S. and Road America is the BEST BY FAR!!!!! Plus the track food is damn right great. Its better than some restaurants I have eaten in. The new viewing areas that they have put in in the last few years at Road America give you access around the whole track now. Bring your walking shoes, or rent a golf cart because its a four mile track you can now completely walk around it now. Turn 5, and the high speed run into Canada Corner are two of my favorites to view from.

This gives you an idea what that track looks like from a vintage Superbike.

I got my best finishes while I was racing on this track over the years. I always loved racing there. It was a FAST track, and you knew you were going fast as you went around it. I liked the track a lot more before they put that sissy chicane in before The Kink. Wished I got to race on it after they removed the Mitchell bridge. I never got used to aiming at a bridge abutment before I made the turn in under that bridge!!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 23 Oct 2018 04:40 #792714

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Thanks for sharing those videos. I was leaning in the corners with you. What speed do you get to at RA? What did your bike look like?

Funny, but most of the racers in the Vintage Superbike Classes are no spring chickens, and they don't race like their age either.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 23 Oct 2018 11:52 #792728

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
Don't really know for sure what my top speed was at Road America. I could top out 5th on the front straight, and pretty close to redline going down the Moraine Sweep into Turn 5. The funnest part of that track is running full throttle from The Kink down through the gentle bends of the Kettle Bottoms into the braking area for Canada Corner!!!! The Kink was one of those corners if you did it right, you could feel your balls pull up into your gut!!! Its one corner you knew if you missed it, that old green guardrail with the one row of hay bales in front of it was going to hurt!!!! My Superbike by a Cook County Sheriff's radar gun ran 154MPH topped out in 5th.

I ran both of my Superbikes there, the one I built, and the fancy S1 I bought at Road America.. Plus I also ran a "stock" Kz750E in a couple of 6 hour endurance races there back around '81 or '82. 2.26's and 2.29's were the lap times I ran on my Superbike. The S1 was like 4 seconds a lap slower because it wobbled pretty bad around the Carousel!!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CoreyClough, DOHC

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 24 Oct 2018 01:14 #792770

• GPZ1100_Rider
  • User

Dr. Gamma wrote: Don't know if the CSRA will be racing on the Road America Moto America weekend next year. They might be, but I don't know if they are for sure!!!
!!!

Yes, it looks like it will not be there. My mistake. When I did a cursory look at the schedule, I locked-on the words Road America, now that I look at it closer, it shows it's for Thunderhill Raceway in California. My loss, and a loss for others in the Midwest who would love to see one of the series races at Elhart Lake Wisconsin. Thanks for sharing your racing experiences at that fine race track though.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 27 Oct 2018 09:48 #792877

• BigDHonda90
  • User
Hi Guys, My name is Darrin Gauvin and I am one of the board members of CSRA. We are so glad to have stumbled on this thread and to see such enthusiasm for what we're trying to do. We're just trying to relive the glory days of Superbikes and have a good time doing it.

As far as 2019, we haven't really formalized anything as we're not really a "series" per se but more of a racing club. Our group was born of necessity because we only had one AHRMA race in 2018 on the West Coast. The other members put their heads together and got made a plan to attend other races at three different tracks to support other organizations. Basically the idea was to race some AFM races and then see where that went. We were invited to race at Sonoma with MotoAmerica and that seemed to be very well received.

Fast forward to today, and we're really excited about the future. The Somona event was the largest grid of Vintage Superbikes in recent memory in America (that we could find numbers on anyway). We took our band of merryman to support the Barber Ahrma race and met some great contacts that have the same thoughts and we are thinking we could some fun.

Please feel free to check our website out at www.csra.us and have a look around. We will be also creating a Facebook page to stay more connected in all facets of social media. Everyone is welcome to dig up your old superbikes, safety wire em up, keep the patina on em and have some fun. We engage in the usual shenanigans, tell a few white lies and are genuinely a great bunch of gray haired professionals.

Cheers!
Darrin
The following user(s) said Thank You: CoreyClough, DOHC, TexasKZ, bluej58, Dr. Gamma, SWest, 577nitro

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 27 Oct 2018 09:52 #792878

• BigDHonda90
  • User
There used to be events at Watkins Glen. I'm not sure if they come anymore. I went to a few with my dad back in the day. I grew up about 10 minutes from the track so curious where you live now? I'm in Southern California now but curious. I went to Odessa for Highschool and lived in Horseheads.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 24 Nov 2018 10:28 #794175

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
Wish you would bring a race to Austin and run at COTA
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.