Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 11:45 #788911

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Hey Doc, very cool stuff! I missed out on this stuff when new and current, back in the day. I was always straight line, drag racing/ street racing.
Never appreciated the super bike road racers. Only thing I knew about was the Daytona 200 every year at bike week.
But I sure would like to see that stuff now! I am close to Watkins Glen, I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for vintage MC there!

And Doc! Find me a place to live, in higher elevation. I could do a small home for about $150.
My Lady spent 11 yrs. near Phoenix 1984-95. shes got 2 yrs to work for retirement age.
Would love to move to the SWest
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 14:49 #788925

• Dr. Gamma
  • Dr. Gamma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664

Togoster wrote: Love the old racing videos. I love the new motogp as well.

Hey Doc, what was that bike in front of you in that last lap?

That thing moved!

Not me in video. Ever since Doctor told me to stop riding because of my balance problems. I have not rode any motorcycles in a year now!!! I can't afford to crash again!!

That was Quarterley going by the guy that was leading until Quarterley pounced for the lead on the last lap!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 15:00 #788927

• Togoster
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
See, that's exactly why I won't go to the doctor. If there is something wrong I don't want to know about it.
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 15:10 #788929

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member

z1kzonly wrote: Hey Doc, very cool stuff! I missed out on this stuff when new and current, back in the day. I was always straight line, drag racing/ street racing.
Never appreciated the super bike road racers. Only thing I knew about was the Daytona 200 every year at bike week.
But I sure would like to see that stuff now! I am close to Watkins Glen, I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for vintage MC there!

And Doc! Find me a place to live, in higher elevation. I could do a small home for about $150.
My Lady spent 11 yrs. near Phoenix 1984-95. shes got 2 yrs to work for retirement age.
Would love to move to the SWest

Flagstaff is just like living in New York. It has four seasons, gets damn right cold up there in the winter. Enough snow that you will have to shovel it a few times each winter!!! Too cold for me anymore. I grew up in Chicago area, I had enough of below zero weather. Everybody thinks all of Arizona is all desert and cactus, its not!!!! Phoenix is just too hot from about May to November. December to early April is nice, but then it turns into an oven!!!

The problem with Arizona now, is all the a$$holes from California are moving here. They are bringing all their liberal ways with them. We don't want or need all the liberal B.S. We have open carry, and concealed carry out here. Crime is super low. You ain't going to carjack or break into someone's house when there is a good chance you will get your head shot off!!!! All these liberal treehugger types are already making a fuss about all the firearms out here. WE DON'T WANT OR NEED ANY OF THESE CALIFORNIA TYPES HERE. They fu#ked up California, let them stay and live in the mess they created!!! Only thing I don't like out here is anything 20MPH over the speed limit is a felony!!! Its up to the Cop that stops you. If you are not an ass to them, there is a good chance he will let you go!!

I used to carry on my bike. And I learned to shoot left handed just in case!!!

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 18:09 #788958

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Ah! Those were the days. Spent many days up at Road America. 5-6 hour drive on the bike and camp out at the campground just down the road leading into town. Good times. Liked the races and bikes much more in that era. They were hand built by guys with there idea of how it should be. You could look at them to find ideas to use on your own. When they came out with the GSXR's and such, they lost me to some degree. They all looked the same and racers didn't need to do as much building themselves. Buy a racebike from the factory. Those Z1's, GS's, CB's and occasional Harley were cool.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 18:26 #788960

• Togoster
  • User
Yeah, no kidding, walk up to the tent and snap pics of Muzzy and Lawson and the crew a few feet away like I wasn't even there.

They sure are different times. I reflect back on them kindly
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 18:49 #788964

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
That is how I got most of my ideas for my Superbike. I could zero in on what I wanted to copy with my telephoto lens. Come home and either make it, or off to my favorite machine shop and have them make It!!!

I used to get the AMA Pit Pass so I could go anywhere at the tracks back then.

On the grid for the '81 Superbike race at Elkhart Lake.

Minutes before start of '81 Superbike race at Elkhart Lake!!!

Attachments:

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 19:10 #788966

• Togoster
  • User
I only had my Olympus OM2 with a 55. These people were not 12 feet from me. I think I threw all that away those pics, like a dumbass. Lawson was my guy back then. I liked the Kaws. It's fun to reminisce
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 19:11 #788967

• Togoster
  • User
Eddie would ride that little pocket bike around through the crowd
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

Last edit: by Togoster.

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 15 Aug 2018 19:20 #788968

• Togoster
  • User
I even toy with the idea of painting the Geep lime green with white and blue decals
Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 16 Aug 2018 04:44 #788997

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I don't think that Jay Springsteen ever figured out how to race his Harley at Road America, he crashed when I was there.

Back then paddock passes where only 10 bucks more then emission price , I have no idea what they are now .
78 KZ1000 A2A

The heydays of AMA Superbike racing returns to the track!!! CSRA 16 Aug 2018 05:30 #788998

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Here is the current and future series schedule from their website.
www.csra.us/schedule

The rules are listed there as well,

I too, am not a fan of AHRMA Rules and their politics, but it seems their Vintage Superbike Rules are being used by a lot of other racing organizations. Like I always say, "To many hands in the stew, and the stew starts to taste like hand."

Thanks for sharing your pictures Dr.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp