Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2nd race update 11 May 2011 20:12 #450368

• turboguzzi
  • turboguzzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72

Tuber wrote: Well done. nice trophy
Looking at your oil catch, can't you do the same as the guys over here are doing. We drop the exhaust and fit and shape a roasting tin(for cooking a chicken in the oven) between the bottom of the engine and the frame rails. It fits a treat. and solves some clearance issues.
Are you running flatslides. I have just managed to find a set of 32mm flatslides. Just trying to get them dialed in at the moment. My first outing proved to be an excellent race. Out of 39 on the grid My highest and lowest finishes were 15th and 19th. Not bad for the first time out. Beating early gsxr750's and fz750/1000. We run a really short circuit of 1.59 miles and the gearing was almost spot on. 15/42. Just ordered a 44 as I still wasnt hooking up into top until 3/4 way down the straight.
From my practice weekend 3 weeks earlier, I was putting in 1.21's, fastest over the 5 races was a 1.15.9.:) and the majority in the mid 1.16's
As i get to know the track, set the carbs up and gain in confidence i will hopefully drop another 2 secs. The big boys out the front on 87 slabside gsxr's are running 1.06's.

Hei tuber,

nice to hear from you. No roasting pans allowed, gotta be a real belly pan, otherwise, no race, techies are though! We are not allowed flatslides either, only round slides, got to be period lookin', ya' know. Ideally I would like a set of CR 31's but since i am currently running without much porting work, CR29 are a direct match with the GPZ stock ports. My motor did 88.7 rwhp on the dyno before the jetting work, so i believe i am up to 92-94 by now. will check again soon.

nice on ya on spanking some GSXR's and FZ's. A bit surprised about your gearing though, our tracks are pretty short too but i run there 15/37.... are you running 17" wheels on your 750? that could explain.

had a race this weekend too, and with a pretty radical suspension setup change, bike turns much quicker. Am much happier now, shame that ignition decided to pack up mid race.... :P

cheers mate

TG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2nd race update 18 May 2011 19:08 #451961

• Tuber
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, The bike is running a 17 inch front, 18 inch rear but its shod with a BT090 150/60/18. Just spoken to my mate thats racing with me and his Z1100 is running the same gearing. Not sure why we would be so different :unsure:
The track isn't that long, but still managing to hook up into top, but not flat out by my braking point on the longest straight. This is why I have ordered a 44 rear sprocket and staying with the 15 front. Have you messed around with gas flowing? I am thinking of having a go at the end of this season. There seems to be an array of pro's and con's listed. "more fuel mix" vs "slower, less swirling mix". I will be looking at having the dyno run carried out in the next few weeks, to sort out the carbs and find out what the old girl is putting out. The Unitrak cams that I was getting have materialized and still on the hunt for a pair. Not racing for a few weeks so maybe I will strike lucky somewhere.
Near Edinburgh

Last edit: by Tuber.

2nd race update 19 May 2011 13:19 #452106

• turboguzzi
  • User
well, that's a pretty tall wall tire = longer circumference so might explain your final ratio,

would get a gpz head too, not just the cams if i was you, the porting is pretty good in stock form, was hand finished in the factory.

let me see what i've got here for cams....

try looking in ebay germany too, gpz750U as they are called there were pretty popular in deutchland, oh ya.

TG

2nd race update 25 May 2011 03:01 #453434

• Tuber
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
TG,
were you having a look for cams for me?
Had a look on the German e-bay. Lots listed, but unsure which cams would be the right ones for me. I know i need the 83-85 Unitrak's. I have a chance of a bike (quite cheap) where the guy is saying he has a 850 engine in it? Thought the big bore kits were 810, this guy is saying its a 750-R1. Have you ever heard of them?

Gaz
Near Edinburgh

2nd race update 25 May 2011 07:10 #453443

• turboguzzi
  • User
I should be spending some time in the garage these days, will let you know,

worst case will give you details as how to identify the cams. the german call the unitrack GPZ "GPZ750U" if that helps...

Take into account that GPZ cams differ form KZ in cam base radius, so could be good if you measured yours as it might not be a straight fit!

The 750 R1 is the model before unitrack, i.e. the up to 82' GPZ.

Heard from another source that there used to be 850 kits made in italy by Termignioni at the time.

Sounds good, just dont expect to find easily spares for them like rings etc.

If bike's cheap would still grab it...