Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2nd race update 21 Apr 2011 15:42 #446095

• turboguzzi
  • turboguzzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
ok, got some time to report,

on to the adria track then, it's near venice, great weather for the weekend.
first session out with much shorter gearing than the first track. with 115 mains in the 29CR's bike feels even better, got to wonder how much hp its making now as i have gone from 125 when i dynoed it to 115 and the plugs are still light brown, gonna try 110's next.
managed six laps before motor started cutting up again, just like in the first race. damn. pull in to check, battery somewhat low, looks like i left the ignition on overnight....

charge again before second qualifying session, seemingly not enough, as i manage only two laps before it cuts up again. drive to the nearest town to look for a new battery but shops are closed, so not a great first day. got to prey now for the battery to hold in tomorrow's 15 lapper with a full night of charging. luckily i went well enough in the first session to start form the middle of the grid.

come race day, battery up to a healthy (?) 12.7V, now that i am racing with a proper crowd, I start to notice that i have quite a bit of trouble making the bike turn in this tighter, slower track. Had some nice fights but I can definitely see that I am not cornering as hard as I would like to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2nd race update 21 Apr 2011 16:12 #446101

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I found out that its not always about the main jet,and leaning it out makes more power, but don't go too lean.

Did you get an air/fuel reading with the dyno as that is more important that actual hp and torque numbers to me.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

2nd race update 21 Apr 2011 17:03 #446107

• turboguzzi
  • User
So at the end of the day I did get a nice trophy but I have to add that this race didnt count towards championship points. A lot of the top guys in my class preferred to race in the 4 hour classic endurance race later in the day, so the comeptition level was not that high. I definitely know that I am not really podium worthy with the new bike yet . As if i needed a proof, I haven't been able to match my lap times from last year aboard my honda 500! On the honda i have gone to a level were I can plant it on my knee all around long corners with the tires just sliding, on the GPZ the bike tends to run wide and I just cant feel what the tires are doing.

So it was nice to get a trophy, but I'll be way happier when i'll be really able to ride the wheels out of the GPZ. Need to work now on bike setup to make it turn better and the brakes will need serious upgrade too. The galfer pads corey recommended worked well till 2/3 of the distance but after that began to fade. The original 280mm discs are just too small for a 90 hp bike on a track with lots of heavy braking.
For next race i already lowered the front some as well as raising the back, lets see if it helps.

in the photo, me and my friend carlo battling it out...
TG
Attachments:

Last edit: by turboguzzi.

2nd race update 22 Apr 2011 08:41 #446263

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
Just an added note, using the stock brake discs on my GPz550, I noticed a big difference (read as much better) in braking from the EBC HH Pads to the Galfer Green Pads, when I switched them out last season. You'll find the right combination for your bike, as it's gotta be heavier than mine.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

2nd race update 22 Apr 2011 08:46 #446264

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Cool pic! Keep the posts coming - you two are inspiring me! :)

2nd race update 22 Apr 2011 11:24 #446285

• turboguzzi
  • User
corey

there's nothing wrong with the green galfer pads. from past experience, its not just weight, but also the fact that i am carrying so much more speed at the end of the straights with the 810 and the energy you need to dissipate increases by the square of speed.

so essentially, the 280mm discs are just not up to it in tracks with lots of heavy braking. will have to go up to 300mm i'd guess which means new discs, new disc carriers and caliper brackets. Will do that in the two month break i have after next race in may 8.

it's not really surprising, it was something i planed to do anyway, i just run out of time before the season started

2nd race update 22 Apr 2011 11:35 #446288

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
Will your class rules allow you to upgrade the calipers? I am running the stock single piston calipers now but when I do the change over, it will be dual piston.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

2nd race update 22 Apr 2011 16:32 #446324

• turboguzzi
  • User
Doesnt have to be the original caliper, as long as its single piston, i.e. period looking, then its fine. Older models of Brembo, Grimeca and Lockheed are allowed

2nd race update 11 May 2011 14:00 #450309

• Tuber
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well done. nice trophy
Looking at your oil catch, can't you do the same as the guys over here are doing. We drop the exhaust and fit and shape a roasting tin(for cooking a chicken in the oven) between the bottom of the engine and the frame rails. It fits a treat. and solves some clearance issues.
Are you running flatslides. I have just managed to find a set of 32mm flatslides. Just trying to get them dialed in at the moment. My first outing proved to be an excellent race. Out of 39 on the grid My highest and lowest finishes were 15th and 19th. Not bad for the first time out. Beating early gsxr750's and fz750/1000. We run a really short circuit of 1.59 miles and the gearing was almost spot on. 15/42. Just ordered a 44 as I still wasnt hooking up into top until 3/4 way down the straight.
From my practice weekend 3 weeks earlier, I was putting in 1.21's, fastest over the 5 races was a 1.15.9.:) and the majority in the mid 1.16's
As i get to know the track, set the carbs up and gain in confidence i will hopefully drop another 2 secs. The big boys out the front on 87 slabside gsxr's are running 1.06's.
Near Edinburgh

2nd race update 11 May 2011 16:30 #450327

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

Last edit: by CoreyClough.

2nd race update 11 May 2011 19:54 #450359

• turboguzzi
  • User
hey corey, i believe tuber was actually replying to me, not to you..... ;)

Suggest that you put the pics and vids of your races in your own threads as more than one member told me he got confused and thought those videos were from my races in italy.....

Hei, even i thought i stepped into your thread when it was actualyl mine :)

Cheers & ciao

TG

2nd race update 11 May 2011 20:07 #450365

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
Sorry about that, I will delete my recent post.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)