Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 18:43 #486340

• clutch
  • clutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12

Motor Head wrote: You got one of those Pingel Adapter plates that is flat with the 2 bolts and gasket, right?
So which joint is the problem, plate to tank or petcock to adapter?

plate to tank. petcock seals fine
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 18:49 #486342

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Have a read through some of these materials, the one in the link will do it for sue. but they have a great explanation of each compound.
gasketing.net/eptfe.htm
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

- 31 Oct 2011 19:21 #486351

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1625

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 19:27 #486354

• Motor Head
  • User

martin_csr wrote: Would the auto parts store have a suitable gasket material, so that he could make his own? After all, the gasket material on my float bowls looks like some kind of cardboard composition, so it seems like something similar could be used on the tank.

PS: doesn't the adapter plate come w a gasket & some sort of sealer?

Napa probably has the biggest selection, I've been researching their web site looking at all the choices. Definitely could find a roll at Napa that should work. Probably slightly thicker than the gasket that came in the kit. Better chance of taking up any imperfection between the surfaces.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 20:23 #486364

• clutch
  • User

martin_csr wrote: PS: doesn't the adapter plate come w a gasket & some sort of sealer?

It leaked right out of the box. I'm guessing it wasn't ethanol friendly. So I ended up ordering a small sheet of nitrile material (I think it's also called buna n). Of all the ethanol friendly materials on that list, it was the only one I found reports of people using, but no issues with it. If it works well, I will have plenty to spare if anyone needs some.

EDIT: It also seems to be the material a lot of o rings and what not for cars are made out of now.
Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Last edit: by clutch.

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 20:30 #486365

• Motor Head
  • User
The problem with the Buna N is the weather and temp rating. Being right at the motor, and the edge of the gasket exposed to light, heat, etc. Certain Petrochemicals it don't like. Not sure about what it would do with Seafoam or other Carb/ Injector cleaners. Nitrile O-rings/ Gaskets have a similar temp, weather ratings, but are more resistant.
From the looks of it anything has to be an improvement. Maybe assemble the tank, and put it out in a shed, overnight in case of any leak.

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 20:36 #486366

• clutch
  • User
Heck, I will be staying up all night staring at it to watch for leaks after what happened today! I don't think the temp will be an issue. It looks to be rated for well over 200 degrees F, and I'd be surprised if it got that hot. There's plenty of open space around it for airflow on my bike, but even if I have to replace it every few months, it'd be better than finding a full tank of gas on my garage floor!
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 21:08 #486373

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Ah, I didn't know you replaced the petcock. You may want to call Pingle for their advice. I'll bet you're not the first person this has happened to. They should have a fix or at least a recommendation they know works. Ask them what happens when someone's garage burns down because Pingle's instructions were incomplete; that may get their attention. ;) Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 21:22 #486376

• Motor Head
  • User
When you get your material, cut a small piece and put in some of the Deathonal, to see if it looks like it is being compromised. Swelling would be the first sign. I think I had some Buna N o-rings swell up with break clean.

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 21:33 #486378

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Hey mate,
I've been reading through and there's something that I don't remember seeing. Did the adapter plate come with a gasket? Maybe they forgot to put one in and that's why it's leaking???
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 22:32 #486389

• clutch
  • User

Chaotic Reason wrote: Hey mate,
I've been reading through and there's something that I don't remember seeing. Did the adapter plate come with a gasket? Maybe they forgot to put one in and that's why it's leaking???

It came with one, and was installed according to their instructions (and the liquid stuff cured for 2-3 days minimum). I'm guessing it didn't like the ethanol (like most gasket materials) because it leaked from the minute I put gas in the tank after install.
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Permatex No 1 Gasket Maker is CRAP! 31 Oct 2011 22:54 #486397

• Motor Head
  • User
Here is some more night reading for you.
www.metrogasket.com/o-rings/material_selection_guide.htm