possible?

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Dec 2006 10:50 #98047 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic possible?
why dont you just fab up some kind of ram air system from under front of tank back to stock airbox?:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2006 12:40 #98083 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic possible?
Sit on the bike backwards...

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
07 Dec 2006 12:45 #98085 by freebyrd24
Replied by freebyrd24 on topic possible?
this thread is too funny :laugh:

- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

More
07 Dec 2006 20:45 #98201 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic possible?
its possible to put the head on backwards, and its been done, just time the cams 180 out. if you want to see a bike that has this done to it, and lots more, check out www.larrymcbride.com B)
Also check out Allen Millyards bikes, the V-8s made from kz1000's have the rear top end going backwards, so does his V-12 made from kz1300's
Scott

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/12/07 23:54

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
08 Dec 2006 00:19 #98223 by lunchbox
Replied by lunchbox on topic possible?
i knew i wasn't completely off my rocker! oh well, too much work, and just not enough interest to actually try it. maybe another project, another time!

More
08 Dec 2006 05:00 #98232 by KB02
Replied by KB02 on topic possible?
From a stand point of air flow, having the carbs behind the motor has the very same air flow as having them infront of the motor (minus any "ram" effect) as it does with e carbs on the side (Can you say "V-Twin?). Physics is funny that way. t's just a matter of best placment from a legistics stand point as to where everything fit in the frame. However, while it would be possible, it would be easier to just fab up a Ram air duct along the bottom of the tank.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
08 Dec 2006 05:36 #98235 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic possible?
Is this what it's coming to? Have all the possibilities been exhausted with the KZ, and now you're thinking of this? Winter surely has set in early this year on KZR Hasn't it? Set the Jack daniels down, and step away from the keyboard. I wouldn't know what I'd do if I had to go thru winters like some of you do. Maybe I'd be thinking of things like this too. Like the song goes, "It's the most, hungover time, of the year..." :woohoo:

Turn the transmission around so you have 5 speeds in reverse, and then the intakes will be in the front. You'll have to ride like a fork lift with rear steering. I suggest you gear it for low speeds.

Anything's possible when you wish upon a star.

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/12/08 08:37

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
08 Dec 2006 07:21 #98246 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic possible?
lunchbox wrote:

i knew i wasn't completely off my rocker! oh well, too much work, and just not enough interest to actually try it. maybe another project, another time!

if you do try it, it would be cool to see an undertail exhaust made. mcbrides is cool where it comes out behind the seat, but think of 4 straight pipes pointing out around the tail light straight back. it would be one of the least restrictive exhausts ever made, hardly any bends. carb/frame tubes might try to occupy the same area, so that may be a challenge, and you may have to rake the front out a bit to get room for a set of pods or stacks.
it would be really cool to see a street bike done up like this, but it would probably be better suited for the drag strip. I think the top feulers used to to something along these lines to get the ram air effect

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
08 Dec 2006 09:34 #98259 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic possible?
lunchbox wrote:

would it be possible to flip the cylinders so that the carbs were in the front? i'm trying to picture all this in my head, it's starting to swell pretty good and hurt:unsure:

One of the biggest problems is the location of the stock frame downtubes. This is not a new idea and was done on these motors better than 25 years ago. Terminal Vanlines had done this even before Elmer. Cam timing is done just like a Yamaha XS11 where the motor runs the other direction. Actually this is a good idea in a different frame. You should do it with an air box similar to how the "car boys" do it for the proper "ram effect"

More
09 Dec 2006 09:08 #98448 by lunchbox
Replied by lunchbox on topic possible?
man, what the hell did i start?

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
09 Dec 2006 09:33 #98454 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic possible?
lunchbox wrote:

man, what the hell did i start?

I'm sorry lunchbox, I wasn't trying to rain on your parade or question your brain-storming.
History has shown us that truely great things can come from letting the mind roam free and think outside of the box. ;)

But to reiterate what I said before, yes, it IS do-able.
But not without some serious fabbing done to the frame, engine, and exhaust/intake systems.

I for one would really be interested in seeing it done, as well as the intricacies involved in the fabbing.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/12/09 12:34

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
09 Dec 2006 10:03 #98462 by kawadruida
Replied by kawadruida on topic possible?
With certain engine layouts it should be a much easier task...

I remember an article somewhere about a woodtracker inspired customized Moto Guzzi with the carbs (and velocity stacks) in front and exhausts running from the back. It seems not to be a big problem with Guzzi´s typical transverse V-Twins or a BMW boxer as well.

But it HAS to involve a lot of work with any transverse inline four, involving major frame modifications for sure.

Anyway, you fired up a most interesting thread. Lunchbox!

BTW: Don´t you think that the V12 KZ2300 is plain amazing? I wonder how it sounds, sweeeeeeet and mellow!