Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

engine pics 09 Nov 2006 20:42 #90919

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
I'm redoing my eng. and am haveing trouble desiding on paint or glass bead.I saw rons glass bead. Its beautfull.How about showing off your engines here.And some comments on upkeep. B)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

engine pics 09 Nov 2006 23:52 #90959

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
My motor is done with simi-gloss black heat paint with ome parts polished. I took off some of the shinny parts and masked the rest. I CLEANED the areas to paint real good and after painting everything I cleaned the edges of the fins. I keep the shinny stuff with Mothers and if you need to touch up the paint the simi-gloss paint blends right in.
Matk

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

engine pics 10 Nov 2006 06:14 #90978

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
I glass beaded this 22yrs. ago painted it. Then I put it in the barn for 22years. For some reason the paint stuck to the jugs but all of the case and head paint just fell off?

Post edited by: mark1122, at: 2006/11/10 09:16
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:

engine pics 10 Nov 2006 08:54 #91010

• wireman
  • Visitor
lots of scrubbing and rubbing,will be a lot more detailed this time around;)
Attachments:

engine pics 10 Nov 2006 16:10 #91096

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Here's a more complete picture. Unfortunately, I lost the entire picture album of this build when my laptop was stolen. :( There may be more pictures in the old archive forum.

Ron
Attachments:

engine pics 10 Nov 2006 16:53 #91108

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Head bead blasted & cylinders sand blasted.

Post edited by: modprod, at: 2006/11/10 20:03
Attachments:

engine pics 10 Nov 2006 20:17 #91142

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Over the years, I have painted a few engines. One engine I painted with a black "wrinkle texture" paint. It was a "flat" gloss black look...with wrinkles. Looked great and held up good but with the wrinkle texture, it had a tendency to hold dust and dirt in the wrinkles. It cleaned up fast but it would show the dirt more because of the wrinkles, but I still like the look it had. Flat black heat paint looks great also as long as you get the paint that keeps the darker flat black...I've seen a lighter black in hi-temp paint and I don't care for it at all. PJ-1 has a gloss black engine paint I've seen on a few bikes and it looks great also..has a shiny look to it which with the chrome on this engine, it really grabbed your attention. Depends on the look you are after. Any paint will show off polished or chromed parts MUCH more than sand-blasted or silver painted cases, etc. Bare parts keep a stock look while a painted motor has a custom look to it, although they need more upkeep to keep looking good...much like polished aluminum covers do. My next motor will be painted a deeper flat black(flat black hi-heat paint dissapates heat better than bare motor because paint creates more surface area...according to what I've read in the past...most factory teams used to paint their motors for this very reason). I will have chrome on my motor and this will highlight the motor and covers and make it stand out more. It also puts color in the complete bike/paint combination. I've even seen combinations of black cases/bare cylinder/black head...black cases and cylinder/bare head...bare cases and black cylinder and every combination and in right bike they all looked good. This is why I collect pictures of bikes I find. To look at combinations and how they look with different colors, polished/chrome parts, bare, etc. My streetbike has a black engine and this is the look I like. Done right, a bare motor(kept clean) looks great but doesn't highlight chrome or polished covers much and takes away from all the work you put into them to make them shine. Take a look at Rons picture and my bike. My covers stand out more but Rons bike has a classic look to it that looks great also-depends on what look you are after. My dragbike has a "dull" stock look and I don't care for it at all and it will be changed over the winter to painted. My turbo has bare engine and it looks great with it's paint job. It's the combination. What color are you painting your bike? Painted motor adds color and bare engine keeps a classic look but a painted engine requires more upkeep(chips, paint peeling, etc.).
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
Attachments:

engine pics 11 Nov 2006 08:05 #91204

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
painted
Attachments:

engine pics 11 Nov 2006 08:13 #91207

• wireman
  • Visitor
if i had to pick a black motor thats the one!;)oh what the hell idtake the whole bike!:P nice bike!

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/11/11 11:15

engine pics 11 Nov 2006 11:29 #91237

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
No detailing, no maintenance, just low gloss Duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic.

engine pics 11 Nov 2006 12:46 #91260

• Prune1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I like the two tone looks on these old bikes...now if I could only get green cam pulgs and gold wires!!

Post edited by: Prune1, at: 2006/11/11 15:49
Attachments:

engine pics 11 Nov 2006 12:54 #91262

• Prune1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Post edited by: Prune1, at: 2006/11/11 15:56
Attachments: