She Redlined Herself -

More
26 Oct 2006 20:53 #87715 by reborn650
She Redlined Herself - was created by reborn650
Hey gang. Hadn't had a chance to ride for the past few days so my old girl decided to start acting up. Musta been just to get back at me for not squeezing in a last few rides:)

I had changed the clip settings a couple of night back as it seemed to be running rich and backfiring a bit.

i did the clipping up to the second notch from the top, put 4 brand new 5DL13 needles into the Mikuni 28's as I am trying to dial out a flat spot around 7 grand at wide open throttle.

The bike started very poorly and sounded like it was only running on 3. This thing usually fires up on the first couple of turnovers of the starter. The plug caps were all snug and I had just cleaned the plugs.

The air temp was right around freeeeeezing so I let it warm up for a little over 5 minutes thinking it might clear itself. When I hit the throttle the motor revved to around 12 grand on the tach before I could hit the kill switch. I fired it up again with a little twist of the throttle and the same thing. Full revs.

I checked the throttle cable and it was pulling and returning normally so I suspect the sliders may have been hanging up. I only have the pull cable on the carbs as the return spring is very strong and snaps back if my hand lets go of the throttle grip.

I wheeled the bike into the shop and felt the pipes. I could hold my hand against #3 while the others were in the proper heat range. #3 was warm to the touch but not as hot as the other pipes.

Pissed off I let the bike cool down and noticed later that there was a little fuel leaking from the bottom of the #4 bowl.

I am going to check the #3 plug to see why it is firing intermittently and pull the bowl off #4 to check to see if it is hanging up.

So, my question is this. Has this overrevving happened to anyone before? I am somewhat puzzled given the throttle cable was working freely.

Any comments or suggestions would be apprectiated.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
1977Kz650 Custom, 810 big bore, Mikuni 28's, Dyna Coils and electronic ignition.

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2006 21:49 #87722 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic She Redlined Herself -
cold air should have leaned your carbs. Running rich after all summer? Did you crack the throttle all the way ? Maybe a jet needle hung up on the outside of the hole? Maybe you outa quit ridin that pig so much. Joke.
You got one flooded carb thats for sure. Read labels before eating..

More
26 Oct 2006 22:41 #87725 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic She Redlined Herself -
carbs that ran rich in summer would be leaner(maybe still just a bit rich, but maybe if it was cold enough too lean) with cold air.
could your choke be sticking open? hmmm 12000 seems high for that though.... maybe its a couple things acting up at once?
at the local strip guys usually jet up at the last few races due to the colder air. its like dropping elevation, the motors work better, make more power, and they get better ETs, but due to being run all yr, and then a slight power increase, lots of people break something.... lots of winter projects are started that way

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
28 Oct 2006 15:11 #88087 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic She Redlined Herself -
Hey gang. Just a follow up on my overrevving deal from a few days ago.

I finally had a chance to pull the carbs and found the slider on #3 wasn't re-assembled properly from when I had installed the new set of needles. Rookie mistake. I should know better.

Next time I will not talk to my buddy while re-assembling anything on my bike. Complete, 100% concentration or I will have to do the job again.

The bike is purring like it should, hopefully I will get a chance for one or two more squirts before it gets too nipply outside.

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.

More
28 Oct 2006 16:33 #88108 by vegasjetskier
Replied by vegasjetskier on topic She Redlined Herself -
:ohmy: 12,000 rpm? Isn't that way past redline? Hope you didn't damage anything.

More
28 Oct 2006 19:23 #88159 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic She Redlined Herself -
Nope, the bike is singing sweet again, but I couldn't believe how the motor pinned the tach so quickly. Luckily I caught it in time.

It is incredbile how this motor hits the high revs compared to the stock 650 or the Wiseco 700 kit I had in last season. This 810 I built with the milled, ported and polished Kz650 head, Kz750 cams/valves and Gpz springs just loves the higher rpm. Kawasaki built one helluva bullet-proof bottom end with these middleweight superbikes.

Some might find this hard to believe but I had it out on a deserted stretch of highway and wound it out in third gear. I wasn't going to shift until I felt the power drop off. I chickened out when the tach spun up around 11 grand. It was still pulling. A buddy of mine who drag races an older Z1 says he can't believe the powerband which almost feels linear to him.

I know it isn't the best for engine longevity but the occasional blast to the stratosphere is something that I just never grew out of enjoying. Luckily I had a really meticulous and careful engine builder put the motor together:)

1977Kz650 Custom, bought new by brother. Latest re-incarnation includes 810 big-bore, Ported, polished and milled 650 head, 750 cams, valves, springs, Wired George Mikuni 28's, Velocity stacks, Dyna Ignition and Dyna Coils, MAC pipe, 14 tooth sprocket, 130 rear tire, Barnett Clutch, Stainless Braided brake lines