UNREMOVABLE BOLT

More
28 Aug 2006 12:10 #72989 by kawadruida
UNREMOVABLE BOLT was created by kawadruida
Hi guys:

After a full cylinder gasket change, engine and body re-painting, carb cleaning, new plugs, new brake pads, new oil and fuel filters and other minor things, my baby is almost ready to roll again...

But there´s still a little thing that keeps me from finishing my job: There´s a little oil leak in the oil cooler lines right where they meet with the oil pan, so I decided to change o-rings and put new bolts on, but there´s one that won´t go out and worst of all it has gone "rounded".

What do you suggest me to do? File one side of it so I can work it with a smaller wrench, or make a slot on it with a steel saw, so to try to take it out with a screwdriver?

Sorry for my english, any answers will be welcomed!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2006 12:12 #72990 by kawadruida
Replied by kawadruida on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
BTW, the bike is my ´84 Gpz550, not the one showed in the avatar...
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Aug 2006 12:27 #72992 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
wow thats a nice looking bike!B) i dont think the screwdriver trick will work on that big of a bolt.since its already chewed up id say clamp a pair of vise-grips on there and see what happens.;)

More
28 Aug 2006 13:58 #73002 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
if that doesnt work, use a flat file to either make it fit the next size smaller socket, or make it flat like a wing nut so vise grips can get a really good hold.

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
28 Aug 2006 14:00 #73004 by mind2find
Replied by mind2find on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
VERY nice bike! Love the '84 transitional style.

I have a similar problem with the tiny screws holding the Kawasaki logo onto the gas tank. Tiny tiny screw, completely rounded out, no edges to grab on, rusted solid. Dunno what to do with this either!!!

1976 KZ-750B1 (late model)
1976 KZ-750B1 (early model) Parts Bike
Boston, MA

More
28 Aug 2006 14:07 #73008 by vegasjetskier
Replied by vegasjetskier on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
Drill out the head of the screw with a bit the size of the threads. Take the logo off, then apply WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, let it sit for a while, then remove it with vicegrips.

mind2find wrote:

VERY nice bike! Love the '84 transitional style.

I have a similar problem with the tiny screws holding the Kawasaki logo onto the gas tank. Tiny tiny screw, completely rounded out, no edges to grab on, rusted solid. Dunno what to do with this either!!!

More
28 Aug 2006 15:49 #73030 by kawadruida
Replied by kawadruida on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
Thanx guys!

I´ll try the file trick, if it doesn´t work will go borrow the vise-grips from a friend...:blink:

Wish me luck, I´ll post some pics when I get her our of the garage.

More
28 Aug 2006 16:25 #73034 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
I would use a hand impact driver on that bolt head. The hand impact drivers have a 1/2" drive. Fit a 6mm 1/2" drive socket on and twist the impact driver counter-clockwise and give it a sharp rap with a hammer. It will likely loosen. If that doesn't work and you feel like you are going to snap the head off, I would consider vise-grips and then drill the bolt, if the head broke and install a new bolt after tapping new thread. In the event you mess up the hole when drilling, you can install a 7mm x 1.0 pitch bolt of similar length.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
28 Aug 2006 16:47 #73044 by KawasakiJockey
Replied by KawasakiJockey on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
Heat the bolt head with a pencil tip torch until the head starts to turn red. Let it cool a little and turn it out with the pliers. Thats if you have a torch or access.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
28 Aug 2006 21:11 #73118 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
I'm with George on this one. I have a 3/8" drive hand impact wrench that I've used on a lot of the "single use" fasteners that came on our engines. I always try to replace everything with stainless steel if I can...

Post edited by: guitargeek, at: 2006/08/29 00:11

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
28 Aug 2006 22:53 #73126 by godsjester71
Replied by godsjester71 on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
If the tool of last resort, aka Vice grips, dont work then try these:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...1542733&category=303

Just be careful and dont snap them off in the bolt, it woll make it infinately more difficult to drill out. Or so I hear. :whistle: :whistle:

More
29 Aug 2006 00:11 #73130 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic UNREMOVABLE BOLT
cut a slot into the bolt, heat the area around it with a propane torch, use an impact driver and give it a very sharp rap with a hammer using ALOT of hand generated twist toward the direction of counter clock wise. Give that sucker a very hard rap with a HEAVY hammer while holding the impact with a counter clock twist like you've never before, and if you dont git it out ill send you my adress so you can come over and explain what went wrong. put a pipe behind the piece, supported by something solid so you dont break that corner off the motor.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2006/08/29 03:14