Anyone interested in putting a mechanical blower on their bike?

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
03 Nov 2005 04:51 #6241 by Duck
I have a 87 police engine that I'm going through and would like to install either an Eaton M45 or M62 blower on.

If someone else wants to do this, I will be happy to make two copies of the adapter plenum on CNC mill and trade one for a good blower. For now I'm thinking of blow through using GPz throttle bodies.

-Duck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2005 08:18 #6269 by Old-Skul
I have an M45 Blower from a Miata that I'll sell you! Good luck on this, I read about a blower equipped ZRX in a magazine a few years ago. I forget what blower they used but it got something like 200HP with a monster torque curve.

More
03 Nov 2005 09:06 #6283 by CruisingRam
I would suggest a plenum at the "carbs" in place of that GPZ throttle body- instead, use one TB off a small car- plumbing is easier and with MS2 you can do sequential injection instead of batch fire. This way you can use your CNC mill to make the "manifold" with injector bungs, and never have to sync your TBs. Since it is forced induction AND EFI, you don't have to worry about making the perfect flowing "manifold" to make sure each cylinder gets = fuel.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
03 Nov 2005 09:07 #6284 by Duck
Sent you a PM.

Forgot to ask direction of pulley rotation on that Miata unit.

For general interest...

I'm only looking for 150-160HP total net.vThat's total available after spinning the blower, not an increase ;-)

This is more for learning purposes than all out power build.
Once I figure out what I'm doing and kids get out of college, who knows....

-Duck

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
03 Nov 2005 12:06 #6300 by Duck
Thanks.

I get what you are saying about single TB an FI and have looked at the MS2.

The single TB warrants a look. The advantage to sticking with the 4 x throttle bodies and boosted ambient 1)I already have a set, 2)I will learn things that also apply to intake systems on normally aspirated engines.

I'll be getting an MS2 for this setup and can always mess around with the other system later.

Is there any difference in throttle rsponse betwwen the two systems?

-Duck

More
03 Nov 2005 15:41 #6320 by Fossil
I'vs wondered if the turbo setup from a GPz750 Turbo could be adapted to other models, or maybe just some of parts could be used to make a home built system.

More
04 Nov 2005 10:51 #6480 by Fossil
Fossil wrote:

I'vs wondered if the turbo setup from a GPz750 Turbo could be adapted to other models, or maybe just some of parts could be used to make a home built system.

Uh, oops, never mind, realized you're talking supercharger, rather than turbocharger.

More
08 Jun 2007 22:03 #147698 by Nelson
Hey did you guys do this? I'm interested!

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
08 Jun 2007 23:03 #147715 by themachine
this thread is just jamb packed full of win

anyone have pics of blown bikes for me to drool over, and where could i get one???!

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• Duck
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
09 Jun 2007 02:59 #147732 by Duck
No. Still keeping my eye out for a deal on the M45. It will be a good bit of $ for all the parts and machine work, even with making my on bracket and drive. Until I get a job...it's got to wait.

• Scatdrat
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
20 Jul 2007 21:58 #158386 by Scatdrat
Has anyone ever messed with an electric supercharger? Or at least know or have an opinion about them, no nitro though. Got a friend had this thing on his VW, said there was a noticable difference without any damage (stock engine). Said he'd sell it to me cheap, thought I'd rig it to an air box in place of my pods. Sounds kinda kewl, only if my alt/battery has enough juice to run it.
Any thoughts on it? thanks

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR

• Scatdrat
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
20 Jul 2007 22:10 #158388 by Scatdrat
RIGHT! I just reviewed the thread "Electric Turbo" and unless anyone says any different, I will stay away from that thing. I would love to have a blower, but I am to fond of my V&H competition exhaust. Maybe like I read earlier on this thread about powering by belt drive.

Am I going to build this thing and blow a ring or rod? I mean, she is only a 650 and me 285lbs!!!

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR