Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ400 Cold malfunction 27 Feb 2023 15:04 #880834

• Feanor_twh
  • Feanor_twh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
My KZ400 starts fine (if it's very cold you need choke) but for about the first 15 minutes of riding I have to keep the throttle half open otherwise the engine stalls. Once it has warmed up, it works perfectly, totally stable idling. But if I let it stand still for a while the engine cools down and when starts tends to stall until it warms up again.

I have not given it much importance because I thought it was normal (I restored the bike 3,000 miles ago and I don't know how it worked before this), and because it is also a good way of know if the engine is hot and ready to rev up. But almost everyone talks about "30 seconds on choke, then remove and voila, stable idling, ready to run".

Does anyone know anything about this or has it ever happened to them?
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Feanor_twh.

KZ400 Cold malfunction 27 Feb 2023 15:46 #880836

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 381
Engine should be hot enough to vaporize the fuel.
I feel the engine cooling fins with my hand.
When the fins near the carbs are warm/hot, the bike is ready.
Your times will vary each time you start the bike.
Others will tell you their methods.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Feanor_twh

Last edit: by F64.

KZ400 Cold malfunction 27 Feb 2023 19:49 #880840

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2769
It shouldn't take 15 minutes of running before the bike will run without choke.  More like 5 minutes.

Where are the pilot screws set?  Is the bikes intake system stock?  Airbox installed with a proper air filter?

KZ400 Cold malfunction 28 Feb 2023 01:28 #880847

• Feanor_twh
  • User
I only use the choke for starting, for about ten seconds, then continue to open throttle so it doesn't stall.

One turn on pilot screws, both carburettors. Intake system stock. I have to check the filter but I think I put the right one.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

KZ400 Cold malfunction 28 Feb 2023 04:52 #880848

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2769
1 turn out on the pilot screws is not enough.  Try 2.5 and see if the bike runs better.  And don't be afraid to run the bike on choke longer.  That's what it's for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, Wookie58

KZ400 Cold malfunction 28 Feb 2023 06:21 #880853

• Feanor_twh
  • User
Thanks, I'll try with the pilot screw.

I'm also going to investigate how to make the choke non all-or-nothing, as I observe that it is sometimes more useful somewhere in the middle but tends to go up itself.

• Page: