77 KZ650. 2 Cold Pipes, Good Spark, Dreading Carb removal.

More
05 Nov 2022 05:30 - 05 Nov 2022 05:31 #876410 by TexasKZ
Partzilla shows what appear to be single outlet fuel valves, and a single fuel T, which would go between carbs two and three. There would be a transfer tube (#36) between carbs one and two, and three and four.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...7/kz650-b1/fuel-tank

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...0-b1/carburetor-assy

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 05 Nov 2022 05:31 by TexasKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
05 Nov 2022 06:43 #876413 by Warren3200gt

With today's gasoline you need to start the motor once a week to avoid plugging jets (KZ650 with 750 motor/CVK34 carbs) a fuel filter from the tank to the carbs is a big help.

I had no time to ride this Summer as my Son bought a house, so I would start my bike about once a week. I think I only put about 220km on it, rode it to my annual meet and back then parked it, so it sat there for 3 months.

I take the carbs off with no issues as the rubber are new, slip them thru the air box holes. I can also make jet changes by dropping the float bowls but I have smaller hands.

Recently drained the carbs and blew them out to store the bike, if you don't use compressed air they can get plugged pretty easily.

mine has a fuel filter between the single line from the tank to where it connects to carbs 3&4. thats the only fuel line from the tank. There arent two.
Not possible. This bike would have never run. Your only feeding fuel to two of four carbs. Needs to be another fuel line feeding the tee between 1&2 carbs. Post a picture of fuel line routing.
That would definately explain the thread title 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
06 Nov 2022 05:25 #876460 by ShaneDude

That would definately explain the thread title 

not true. as nessism posted, there is only ONE fuel line from the carbs to the petcock. see below

More
06 Nov 2022 05:27 - 06 Nov 2022 05:39 #876461 by ShaneDude

Partzilla shows what appear to be single outlet fuel valves, and a single fuel T, which would go between carbs two and three. There would be a transfer tube (#36) between carbs one and two, and three and four.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...7/kz650-b1/fuel-tank

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...0-b1/carburetor-assy

Yes, sorry, I mis-spoke. the fuel T is between 2 and 3, not 3 and 4 as Nessism shows below. This is my exact setup. the fuel line is properly affixed to my carbs. I havent taken the carbs off yet but its clear there is dirty or something in the jets of carbs 1 and 2

Last edit: 06 Nov 2022 05:39 by ShaneDude.

More
06 Nov 2022 07:00 #876464 by Mikaw
I think it would be advantageous to post some pictures. The members might notice something your not seeing.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
06 Nov 2022 07:24 - 06 Nov 2022 07:28 #876467 by ShaneDude

I think it would be advantageous to post some pictures. The members might notice something your not seeing.

The issue has nothing to do with the fuel line. The bike ran fine for 3 years and STOPPED running when it sat too long.

Im sure this is a case of clogged jets and when I get around to it, I will remove the carbs, clean them and report back.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2022 07:28 by ShaneDude.

More
06 Nov 2022 11:43 #876476 by Injected

The issue has nothing to do with the fuel line. The bike ran fine for 3 years and STOPPED running when it sat too long.

Im sure this is a case of clogged jets and when I get around to it, I will remove the carbs, clean them and report back.

How long is "too long"? 2 weeks, 2 months??

More
06 Nov 2022 12:54 - 06 Nov 2022 13:01 #876480 by ShaneDude

the bike sat, indoors, yet in very hot garage, from July 13 to October 6th, close to 3 months.

The bike ran like a champ when i parked it. Now it doesnt.  The bike has spark, fuel filter timing, valves checked and has been gone through but for the carbs.

The carbs need to be pulled and cleaned. Once that is done, I will report back. Today I took a few minutes fiddling with removal. They are almost out. I will have them removed some time this week. A heat gun softened the boots which are still in good condition. However I bought new ones just in case.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2022 13:01 by ShaneDude.

More
07 Nov 2022 06:24 #876502 by ShaneDude

I have some time today and will be taking off the carbs. Kind of excited to see what I find.

More
07 Nov 2022 08:49 - 07 Nov 2022 18:44 #876505 by Nessism
Last edit: 07 Nov 2022 18:44 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShaneDude

More
07 Nov 2022 09:00 - 07 Nov 2022 09:07 #876506 by ShaneDude
Update. I pulled the carbs and using a heat gun on the boots, it literally took me 7 minutes to have the carbs fully out.

I took the float bowls off the two problem carbs (I will go through the entire carb body but wanted to look at the jets first.) Rubbers look good. Pretty clean inside the float bowls, but I noticed this jet below, on both of those carbs, had dirt in the bottom little holes. I couldnt see straight through them until i used compressed air. I also took a look at the little tiny jet on the left, right next to the bigger jet, but they were clean.. Would the jet below, being clogged somewhat, have caused fuel starvation, backfiring, cold pipes or would it have been the little jet on the left of it? And what is the big jet called?

For background, the bike idles fine, but when i give it throttle it backfires and sounds terrible.

The little jet on the left was clean, took it out and looked:

the carbs when I took them off: 

Last edit: 07 Nov 2022 09:07 by ShaneDude.