Full engine rebuilder suggestions

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
29 Oct 2022 07:02 #876136 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions
Good luck with whatever shop you decide to go with. One word of advice, start cheap and go from there. Have a shop do a full diagnostic including a compression check and a leak down test. It might be you just need the head serviced which would be much less. And, if you decide to go for the full rebuild, keep in mind that won't be the end of it. There are still brakes, suspension, carbs, ignition, etc. issues that can cause the bike to run poorly. These bikes are always going to run like "old bikes" That is part of the charm. This gets to be an expensive hobby if you don't do at least some of your own work. 

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2022 07:59 - 29 Oct 2022 08:47 #876142 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions

Thanks for the note. I'd be interested in getting more information about the work you do and how you charge.
I met with a shop foreman today who I consider to be well qualified. He mentioned a complete top end job with complete head rebuild and cylinder bore and new pistons would be around $5000 and take 45 days. He said the shop guarantees all work. 
How does this info compare to what you might consider charging??
Thank you for your replies.

$5k for a top end job is ridiculous.  Absolutely 

New pistons and rings = $325  No labor. File fit the rings will be included in the bore work. Hanging pistons labor in Assembly 
Bore job = $250 This would include the labor
Head rebuild = $500 Again labor included
Gaskets = $200 No labor
Assemble Should be way less than 8 hours to assemble the top end on the cases, but worst case.

Round up and we get to $1500.  How the F do we get to $5k???  At worst add $960 to assemble and your still half of  your quote. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2022 08:47 by Mikaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
29 Oct 2022 08:33 #876144 by Mikaw

Can I pay $5,000 to fix this bike? Yes I can. Add this to the Pro column

Will I? Yes, because I want this bike to run without issue. This not always the case, I have read on the forum how guys have thrown more money than needed hoping they would get a flawless machine. Not a guarantee. 

My question is asking for qualified shops that rebuild engines. I will not engage in debates about alternatives that do not apply to me, or discussions about what someone else thinks they'd do if they were me.... no point. I see a good balance of responses, some with builder recommendations, and some helping guide you. Please don’t take the guidance as negative. 

Most of the responses have nothing to do with my questiion.  Contacting Vance & Hines is not a valid answer to my question. One thing to keep in mind most of our members have been around these bike a LONG time. Some have even bought their bikes off the showroom floor. So there suggestions are valid, but the company they suggest might not do the work anymore. 

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I am going to stick to my original question and hope to get specific answers, not war stories or non-related goose-chases. I would hope you don’t see seasoned guys sharing their real life experiences as a “goose-chase”

Have a great weekend everyone. 

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Wookie58

More
29 Oct 2022 08:54 - 30 Oct 2022 02:28 #876146 by Injected
Last edit: 30 Oct 2022 02:28 by Injected.

More
29 Oct 2022 09:02 #876147 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions
Back in the day, way back- 1989, when I had my first engine rebuild, kz-1000, I had a local shop do all the work. Cases, crank, tranny, pistons, head,etc. I left the bike with them for the work to be done. As you can see just for the r&r of the engine was $240 in 1989 dollars. That amount today ??  The second rebuild I removed the engine at home myself and then dropped it off. Maybe I was overcharged for the r&r but it can and does add up fast. Anyway, again good luck with your project.

More
29 Oct 2022 09:22 #876149 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions

​​It's like fishing....if you were smart, you'd never pay the money for the equipment and the expense of actually going fishing in order to have a fish for dinner. You would simply go to the store and buy a fish to cook.  It is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Hey, wait a minute!

Having fresh-caught fish for dinner is like working on the KZ, for me...

I may always be dumb, but I'm stupid less often.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
29 Oct 2022 09:38 #876151 by Mikaw
Found on the internet so it must be true. Your $240 in 1989 is $550 today. No political implications. 

www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation....amount=240&year=1989

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

More
29 Oct 2022 09:41 #876152 by B_Moore
Replied by B_Moore on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions
I agree with the "not trying to be argumentative", as I'm not trying to be either. But, some.folks on forums think anonymity equals a right to shoot their mouths off with crappy comments. All I want is the name of qualified shops. What I get is up to everyone else to read, understand... and have the maturity to.comply with a question written in clear simple English (asking a lot from some people).

I've been given good info (thank you to those who provided). All the other comments not related to the names of qualified shops is what you get when posting anything on a forum (it's a box of chocolates). Sad.

As for having the money to pay for a.COMPLETE engine build by someone who took the time to study, take and pass an automotive tech program, and spend years making a living DOING good work deserves my business without having me complain about every little gripe. 

I personally refuse to quibble about small shit when all it does is spawn ill will from someone who can either do a great job or not depending upon how I treat them. 

I bet all of the argumentative experts on here NEVER argue with the person when placing an order in a fast food drive-thru cuz they KNOW they'll get spit in their food.

All I want and expect is the name of any shop that can do a quality complete engine build. I never said some shop wants five grand for a valve job....it was an estimate for a complete engine rebuild which is going to be high until he opens it up and sees what it needs... including removing, tearing down, cleaning everything, mic all parts for tolerances, magnafluxing, correcting any related issues with wiring, rebuild within factory specs with all new pistons, rods, rings, valves, bearings, gaskets, and a very complete & thorough slate of machine shop work... and guarantee it will be like a factory engine by tuning and provide a dyno test on their in-shop dyno. 

30 hours is not too.much time. $120 an hour is what THEY expect to be paid for a complete engine build that will last 30,000+ miles over ten years. 

Money well spent.

More
29 Oct 2022 10:00 #876153 by Mikaw

Thanks for the note. I'd be interested in getting more information about the work you do and how you charge.
I met with a shop foreman today who I consider to be well qualified. He mentioned a complete top end job with complete head rebuild and cylinder bore and new pistons would be around $5000 and take 45 days. He said the shop guarantees all work. 
How does this info compare to what you might consider charging??
Thank you for your replies.

Just saying!

1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
29 Oct 2022 10:11 #876154 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions

I agree with the "not trying to be argumentative", as I'm not trying to be either. But, some.folks on forums think anonymity equals a right to shoot their mouths off with crappy comments. All I want is the name of qualified shops. What I get is up to everyone else to read, understand... and have the maturity to.comply with a question written in clear simple English (asking a lot from some people).

I've been given good info (thank you to those who provided). All the other comments not related to the names of qualified shops is what you get when posting anything on a forum (it's a box of chocolates). Sad.

Guess what? This forum is not a business, and the members sure as hell are not your employees; this is a place for discussion. If you think a related suggestion in response to your question is "shoot[ing] their mouths off" then you probably should stop using the internet completely.

A reasonable person would be pleased that strangers would be willing to help, even if it meant that person needed to read some additional words. Not you, though. You're here to complain that people didn't immediately answer your question in exactly the manner you expected, while having the complete lack of self-awareness to grumble about "maturity".

Next time you can use Google.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, Wookie58

More
29 Oct 2022 10:12 #876155 by B_Moore
Replied by B_Moore on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions
Just saying what?

I never really spent much time on forums due to bogus shit from people who can't behave with any reasonable amount of maturity.

You all can flame all you want.  I got what I came for.

FO

More
29 Oct 2022 10:26 #876156 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions

Just saying what?

I never really spent much time on forums due to bogus shit from people who can't behave with any reasonable amount of maturity.

You all can flame all you want.  I got what I came for.

FO

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, Nerdy