Full engine rebuilder suggestions

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Oct 2022 16:04 - 26 Oct 2022 16:05 #876049 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions

- If anyone has contact info for Ray Rains (rapidray), then please let me know. He sounds like a great reference. 

As I said, I sent you a Private Message with his contact information.  Please check your inbox
Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 16:05 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2022 16:06 #876050 by B_Moore
Replied by B_Moore on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions
I got it now.  Thank you.  I mis-read your note... inthought you sent HIM a PM.  I have his # now and will contact him.  Thx!!

More
28 Oct 2022 12:58 #876116 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions
I can do complete rebuild but am in Md , just finishing up KZ1000 engine for customer was Kawasaki Mechanic in 80's to 90's done many KZ Engine builds from stock to full Drag bike big blocks.

1984 750 Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy

More
28 Oct 2022 15:23 #876118 by B_Moore
Thanks for the note. I'd be interested in getting more information about the work you do and how you charge.
I met with a shop foreman today who I consider to be well qualified. He mentioned a complete top end job with complete head rebuild and cylinder bore and new pistons would be around $5000 and take 45 days. He said the shop guarantees all work. 
How does this info compare to what you might consider charging??
Thank you for your replies.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Oct 2022 16:26 #876121 by Nessism

Thanks for the note. I'd be interested in getting more information about the work you do and how you charge.
I met with a shop foreman today who I consider to be well qualified. He mentioned a complete top end job with complete head rebuild and cylinder bore and new pistons would be around $5000 and take 45 days. He said the shop guarantees all work. 
How does this info compare to what you might consider charging??
Thank you for your replies.

$5k for a top end job is ridiculous.  

New pistons and rings = $325
Bore job = $250
Head rebuild = $500
Gaskets = $200
Round up and we get to $1500.  How the F do we get to $5k???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
28 Oct 2022 17:12 #876123 by B_Moore
$120 an hour for 30 hours of labor.

More
28 Oct 2022 20:27 #876125 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Full engine rebuilder suggestions

$120 an hour for 30 hours of labor.

Jeez!! 30 hours for a top end !!! That is ludicrous. So people actually pay these prices ?? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
29 Oct 2022 02:50 - 29 Oct 2022 04:06 #876128 by B_Moore
How much money does your local, trained experienced shop charge?
​​​
You may find a shop that charges less per hour, but expects the job to take longer. It's either pay the price, or dont have the bike repaired.

I don't expect anyone to work for free, and the people who used to work on older bikes no longer do this for a six pack of beer.

I can afford the price of quality work. I can't afford another sloppy hack job.

Hourly rates everywhere I look are $120 an hour for people who do this work for a living with a meaningful level of skill. If you don't pay this price, you either learn it yourself, suffer the consequences of unqualified work (mine or someone elses) through incompetence, or quit the activity.

It's like fishing....if you were smart, you'd never pay the money for the equipment and the expense of actually going fishing in order to have a fish for dinner. You would simply go to the store and buy a fish to cook.  It is a hell of a lot cheaper.

I want this bike to run properly. What does it cost? $5000 is the estimate. No excuses. Work guaranteed. The bike smokes out one side exhaust. It doesn't drip or have any other problems. I don't want it to come back with 19 other problems, and have it smoke out both sides!!  A 30 hour estimate isn't unreasonable, neither is the rate per hour if they don't F up something else.

I'm exploring options with 4 different shops, two which came from this thread (one shop was previously known, one was not known... so I added them to the list). I'm also looking forward to hearing from the guy in MD about his ability to do this work.

Thank you to those who answered the original question.

Last edit: 29 Oct 2022 04:06 by B_Moore.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Oct 2022 05:46 #876129 by Nessism
You never answered the question about mileage on the bke.  Reason for asking is because if it's less than 40k miles, you may not even need a new top end.  New rings and valve seals, and of course gaskets, may fix you right up.  For $5k you can buy a complete bike, all rebuilt.  Hell, I may sell you mine for that price!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
29 Oct 2022 06:07 - 29 Oct 2022 06:08 #876130 by Wookie58
Please don't think I am trying to be argumentative, I am simply sharing my viewpoint after 40 years in the automotive industry. I wouldn't suggest using a hack and don't disagree that the quoted labour rate as being about the norm now (that is why I did my own timing chain on my car) however I do think 30 hours is excessive for what is a simple engine. I would be interested to know what the "manufacturer repair time" is for piston replacement (with associated operations) As a "rule of thumb" if I am paying labour rates at the upper end of the scale I would expect the quote to be based on OEM repair times.
Bottom line is you can pay what you want to get the outcome you are looking for, I have simply shared "my opinion" especially given that the time consuming stuff like lapping valves will be covered in the "head rebuild" charge
Last edit: 29 Oct 2022 06:08 by Wookie58.

More
29 Oct 2022 06:10 #876131 by B_Moore
The aftermarket odometer says 1200 miles. How many on the factory odometer.... no idea.
The smoke out of the exhaust is all I need to know to understand the general issue. 

No one is more aware than me that a new bike can be bought for less. That has nothing to do with my question or my intent to fix THIS bike, for reasons that no one else may understand or agree with.

Can I pay $5,000 to fix this bike? Yes I can.

Will I? Yes, because I want this bike to run without issue.

Do I know who will do the work? Not yet, but I'm closer to knowing this answer thanks to those who provided names of shops that do engine build on old bikes.

My question is asking for qualified shops that rebuild engines. I will not engage in debates about alternatives that do not apply to me, or discussions about what someone else thinks they'd do if they were me.... no point.

Most of the responses have nothing to do with my questiion.  Contacting Vance & Hines is not a valid answer to my question. They make Harley exhausts!!!

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I am going to stick to my original question and hope to get specific answers, not war stories or non-related goose-chases.

Have a great weekend everyone.

More
29 Oct 2022 06:26 #876132 by Wookie58
Message clear and understood, shops dream of customers like you who believe the more they pay the better the job they get.
Be lucky 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism