KZ650. Never failed me. Till Now. Need Ideas: Coil, Carb most likely

More
10 Oct 2022 14:27 #875393 by ShaneDude
One of the plugs looks like this:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2022 15:20 #875457 by daveo
Hmmm...

That no look so good.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
11 Oct 2022 15:23 #875458 by daveo

What are those crimp ends made from?  I hope they are tin plated brass.  If zinc plated steel, that doesn't seem right.

No idea, but i just purchased new wires direct from Dynatek, which will arrive by the end of the week.
Makes sense, who knows how far that crud has travelled up the wires, you may have to cut them back a long way to be serviceable.
I'm shocked...

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
19 Oct 2022 07:12 #875707 by Wii Willy
The coil is fine if it can zap a few thousand volts through your fingers a plug will be no problem to it!
now you know how Frankenstein felt too. 
Joke aside best to check all plug leads for arcing, you can see this in daylight. Remove the caps and squirt everything down with WD 40. Some moisture may have got in mysteriously.
take it for a ride and rev the tits off the engine to suck any crud out of the carbs. An Italian service it's called. Try running a little redex into the tank to clean the jets too.
Always start with the easy stuff first as 9 times out of 10 it's just something silly, like a loose connection, but you only find it after pulling half the engine out first. Try the bullet connectors to the coils and ignition. 
Cheers and ride safe.