Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HELP PLEASE, Why does my kz400 die when I pull the throttle fast 27 Jul 2022 18:20 #871165

• Berserker208
  • Berserker208's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I drilled out some extra main jets I had with the biggest micro bit I have. Stupid fat jet test coming Sunday. I'll keep u guys posted.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

HELP PLEASE, Why does my kz400 die when I pull the throttle fast 31 Jul 2022 16:46 #871411

• Berserker208
  • Berserker208's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I ran a bunch of tests today. I put baffles in my exhaust. I drilled out a bunch of jets different sizes going up from 200. I made some throat restrictors. I even made some for the V-stacks to restrict air, trying to keep the suction going through the Venturi. One adjustment at a time, then adding another and another starting from squar one every test, trying to just get some kind of a response and I did. I got it to not die when I hit the throttle but that came with a couple other problems. Bogging at 3/4 to full throttle, To much fuel. Or popping and cutting out at 3/4 to full throttle.
SO I have another question, at this point instead of continuing to modify and adjust the carbs I have, trying to make up for not having an accelerator pump would it be better to just switch to Mikuni tm33 with an accelerator pump?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

HELP PLEASE, Why does my kz400 die when I pull the throttle fast 01 Aug 2022 03:36 #871438

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Firstly it's a normally asperated carb bike. It's not electronically controlledd fuel injection.
Vacuum in the carb throat sucks the fuel up from the float bowl through a passageway. Air enters the throat via a slide or butterfly. 

If you whack open the throttle FAST the slide/butterfly opens instantly allowing masses of air into the carb throat. This results in a huge drop in vacuum allowing instant air with very little vacuum to suck the fuel up. Result is a very very lean fuel air mixture which is not sufficient to keep the engine firing. 
This happens when on the stand only. On the road, the bike is in gear and the rotation the rear wheel keeps the engine turning over until the fuel supply catches up with the air supply and everything keeps going. 
In reality when actually riding you can't open the throttle quickly enough to produce this situation so it's not apparent. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Berserker208

• Page: