Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Do valve guides need to be reamed if they aren't removed? 24 May 2022 05:54 #867623

• elfolan
  • elfolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Excited to learn about my first Kawasaki twin
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey all,

I think this is a really basic question but I'm struggling to find an answer.

If I remove the valves from a KZ400 (or any KZ I guess) head for a gentle clean and measure but leave the guides in place, do I still need to ream the guides before reinstalling the valves?

My confusion comes because the shop manual treats the valves and valve guide removal/reassembly as one job and states 'Ream the valve guide with the valve guide reamer even if the old guide is reused'.

Also, since the manual writes it like that, is it necessary to remove the valve guides if I'm already removing the valves? I thought I could leave them in place and measure wear with the wobble method before committing to removing them only if they need replaced.

Bonus points if someone can explain why the guides need to be reamed even if re-used.

Appreciate any advice!
1976 KZ400 S2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do valve guides need to be reamed if they aren't removed? 24 May 2022 06:32 #867624

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
No need to touch the guides if re-using the original valves and the guides haven't been removed and refitted.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: elfolan

Last edit: by zed1015.

Do valve guides need to be reamed if they aren't removed? 24 May 2022 07:01 #867626

• howardhb
  • Sustaining Member
  • God, I trust
  • Thank you received: 431
It is, however, absolutely essential to mark the valves and return them to their original position.

H.
'81 GPz 550 D1 Click this link: www.kzrider.com/gallery/kz-550/1981-gpz550d1-9094#joomimg
'81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617040-1981-gpz1100-b1-rst
'82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
'79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, elfolan

Last edit: by howardhb.

Do valve guides need to be reamed if they aren't removed? 24 May 2022 13:26 #867637

• elfolan
  • elfolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Excited to learn about my first Kawasaki twin
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you both, really appreciate the help!

It is, however, absolutely essential to mark the valves and return them to their original position.

Thanks, will do. I'll write a little addendum in my manual to cater to the reaming without valve removal and remind myself to keep all valve components together and return them to where they were.
1976 KZ400 S2

Last edit: by elfolan.
  • Page: