Master link cam chain replacement process

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Feb 2022 08:03 #862229 by Flatblackobsession
Master link cam chain replacement process was created by Flatblackobsession
KZ Riders,
I'm working on a 1988 KZ1000P. The engine ha noise and I've gone through everything but a cam chain replacement to try and get it sounding right. I don't want to invest too much more time or money in this bike, as it may be destined for a "mechanic's special" sale on Craigslist, but I do want to try replacing the cam chain before giving up on it. That said, I definitely do not want to pull the engine and split the cases in order to replace the cam chain. Instead, I want to do this by pulling the valve cover (not the head) and replacing the old cam chain with a master link cam chain.

I have read on other threads that this can be done with the J engine's Hyvo chain, but I am unclear on exactly how this is done. If any of you all have done this, would you please walk me through it?

Also, I haven't been able to find a masterlink-ready replacement chain for this. If anyone has a link for where to find this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2022 15:38 #862276 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Master link cam chain replacement process
I would make sure its the chain that's stretched, Have you checked the tensioner and chain guides ?    I do know a guy capable of joining hyvo chains but I much prefer endless hyvo chains, they aren't the easiest chain to join...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Flatblackobsession

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Feb 2022 17:55 #862281 by Flatblackobsession
Replied by Flatblackobsession on topic Master link cam chain replacement process
Thanks. I replaced the stock tensioner with an APE manual tensioner. The stock tensioner was maxed out.

I have looked in the oil pan and found no parts of broken guides. I have also looked down into the engine with the valve cover off, and the chain appears to be riding on the guides.

The chain does appear to be badly stretched. The marks on the two cam sprockets aren't lining up exactly as they should be (things are just slightly skewed), and they also do not line up exactly with the "T" marks on the crank-- when following the factory manual's prescribed positions for measuring valve clearance, for example. So, it seems to me that the length of the chain in between these various points is now slightly longer than it is supposed to be. I think that this would not be the case if the chain were the correct length. Right?

Why are the Hyvo chains difficult to join?

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
13 Feb 2022 18:54 #862287 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Master link cam chain replacement process

Because you need a special and expencive rivet tool for the master link you only need ones in your life time but get broken chain nigthmares all night long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, daveo, Flatblackobsession, 750 R1

More
13 Feb 2022 19:40 - 13 Feb 2022 19:53 #862295 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Master link cam chain replacement process

Because you need a special and expencive rivet tool for the master link you only need ones in your life time but get broken chain nigthmares all night long.

If only such a tool was available to borrow for a fraction of the horrendous cost (and utter nightmare) of buying one. LOL!

This one:
www.biketeile-service.de/media/attachmen...f/mk-1588_manual.pdf

92057-1052 open chain w/link:
ebay item 333499911108

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 13 Feb 2022 19:53 by daveo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flatblackobsession

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Feb 2022 21:50 #862304 by Flatblackobsession
Replied by Flatblackobsession on topic Master link cam chain replacement process
Do you guys know if this one, from Z1, will work? www.z1enterprises.com/yamaha-xs650-chain...veting-tool-kit.html

If not, I was thinking I could just pound the end of the rivets with some sort of punch.

What do you think? Has anyone ever done this with the Hyvo chain?

More
14 Feb 2022 05:49 - 14 Feb 2022 05:56 #862313 by daveo
Z1 Enterprises attempted to answer that question for me recently. Sadly, proper tooling for morse silent-chain master links is NOT readily available in our good old USA.

Weakness increasingly appears to be designed into the system.  

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 05:56 by daveo.

More
14 Feb 2022 06:22 #862314 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Master link cam chain replacement process
I wouldn't recommend home riveting a hyvo camchain.
I've done a few with the supplied "soft link" and even with many years experience its very tricky to get it right.
I've seen many chain failures on rivet link hyvo camchains due to fractured pins and overtight joints and for the one off additional work to fit an endless chain in relation to the elimination of any potential failure i'll pull the motor apart to fit one everytime.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, Flatblackobsession, SWest, 750 R1

More
14 Feb 2022 07:27 #862320 by daveo

I wouldn't recommend home riveting a hyvo camchain.
I've done a few with the supplied "soft link" and even with many years experience its very tricky to get it right.
I've seen many chain failures on rivet link hyvo camchains due to fractured pins and overtight joints and for the one off additional work to fit an endless chain in relation to the elimination of any potential failure i'll pull the motor apart to fit one everytime.

Please explain "home riveting" vs shop riveting(?) a hyvo camchain, if and how distinguishable with proper tooling, patience, experience...and the gonads to attempt it.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Feb 2022 08:28 #862324 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Master link cam chain replacement process
It's only in the last few years that proper hyvo camchain riveting tools have been available so prior to that home riveting was a matter of skill and judgement and the use of a ball pein hammer etc to peen over the ends of the pins .
The trick was getting a secure peen without nipping the joint too tight and even then i've seen the joint fail with what i can only put down to possible inferior masterlink material.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, Flatblackobsession

More
14 Feb 2022 08:57 - 14 Feb 2022 08:58 #862330 by daveo
Cool... 

Besides located in other Countries how is the BorgWarner Morse Hy-Vo chain (ebay item 333499911108) different from a 92057-1052  D.I.D. brand label (ebay item 303268350494 chain and 293205591960 master link?

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 08:58 by daveo.

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Feb 2022 09:10 #862331 by Flatblackobsession
Man, I'm split on this. On one hand, I agree with Zed that it is dangerous. On the other, I'm sort of with Daveo and think there's a possibility I could pull it off if I take my time-- and, if it didn't work, I could set it aside and split the cases someday.

I found a used chain, that may or may not be within spec, on Ebay. I'm going to experiment with it before I buy a new $130 chain to butcher. If it seems like I can pull it off, I may attempt it.

Zed, do you know of an example of one of these more recently available hyvo riveting devices? If so, could you give me a link? I'm still struggling to find a tool that seems like it might do it.

Otherwise, I might decide this is too risky to attempt and just sell the bike as is. I hate to do it, though, because I rebuilt the fork seals, put a new battery in it, new front tire, adjusted all the valves, replaced the air intake boots, put an APE manual tensioner on it. It also has the full fairing and police hard bags. Clean title. I was sure I'd be able to find the source of this noise and fix it. I am not absolutely certain that it is the timing chain, but I think it is very likely at this point. So, if I go that route and anyone is interested in buying a mechanic's special, let me know (I'm in southern Arizona).

But, we're not there yet. If anyone can link to an example of a modern hyvo chain riveting tool, I'd really appreciate it.