• Page:

TOPIC:

Alternator cover torque sequence? 30 Aug 2021 23:57 #854623

• MartyZ1000
  • MartyZ1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Regarding KZ1000 J3 1983.

I´ve done 8 attempts wirth different gasket makers to get my alternator cover tight from oil leaks,
but to no avail. Now ordered the yamabond 4, but is there a torque sequence for the bolts?
I see no such instruction in the manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alternator cover torque sequence? 31 Aug 2021 00:49 #854624

• MartyZ1000
  • User
And it´s not the grommet, leak comes from bottom longer bolt.

Alternator cover torque sequence? 31 Aug 2021 05:22 #854632

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Have you checked to be sure that both gasket surfaces are perfectly flat and free of nicks, cuts and gouges?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Alternator cover torque sequence? 31 Aug 2021 05:39 #854633

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377
I don't torque 6mm bolts. Too easy to pull the threads out. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Alternator cover torque sequence? 31 Aug 2021 10:59 #854654

• MartyZ1000
  • User
They´re pretty decent, and they are what I´ve got,
Noone seems to know about a fastening sequence here so I guess there is none,
I´ll put my hope to the Yamabond...

Alternator cover torque sequence? 31 Aug 2021 11:18 #854655

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1859
OEM gaskets give you the best chance
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartyZ1000

Alternator cover torque sequence? 31 Aug 2021 13:46 #854658

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

They´re pretty decent, and they are what I´ve got,
Noone seems to know about a fastening sequence here so I guess there is none,
I´ll put my hope to the Yamabond...
The surfaces can be corrected if they are not flat. The cover is quite easy to do. All you need is a really flat surface, like a piece of glass, some wet/dry aluminum oxide paper in several grits between 100 and 200, a bunch of wd40 to keep the paper wet so the grit does not get clogged up, and some elbow action. If the engine case surface needs dressing, it is a little more difficult, but doable.
I am pretty sure there is no official sequence, but a cross cross pattern seems a good idea.
Does the bolt on bottom go into a blind hole? If not, the recommended thread lock is likely needed as a sealant, too.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Alternator cover torque sequence? 01 Sep 2021 05:53 #854679

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 600
When I was doing brake jobs & front end alignments in my late teens & early 20's, I was taught to always tighten the wheel lug nut farthest from the last one I tightened.  In the era of drum brakes, that supposedly helped keep drums from warping.  It was said the be the 'clock pattern'.  On 5-bolt wheels, that means to always move to the next lug nut farthest from the last one, instead of just going around the wheel stud sequentially in a circular pattern.

If a specific torque sequence isn't specified, I still proceed by the 'clock pattern'.

Even if a workpiece isn't round like a clock, such as a dyno cover the sequence is the same.  It doesn't matter where you start.  In this example we'll begin at 12 o'clock for simplicity.

One thing I tend to do regardless, is not fully tighten completely on the first sequence.  I usually do three passes;  first sequence 1/3rd. tight, then another pass to  2/3rds. tight, then a final tightening pass.  I do this process where a sequence is specified also.

On to our dyno cover example;
I'll snug the screw at whatever I choose as my 12 o'clock start, then the screw at 6 o'clock.  Then move to the screw at 3 o'clock, followed by the fastener at 9 o'clock, then 5 o'clock, 11 o'clock etc., always going to the fastener farthest from the last one.  After that first pass, repeat again with higher torque, then a final pass to fully tight. 

When working with 6mm cross head screws such as those originally in a dyno cover, I'll use a #3 JIS screwdriver & get them tight as comfortably possible by hand.  If I'm torquing hex head screws I set the torque wrench to 20, then 45, then 70 in. lbs. respectively for each pass.  Torque specs for general fasteners are in the back of the manual

You mentioned it's not the grommet.  It almost always is.  Seems to be a standard Z1 leak, or at least a weep.  Often when the grommet seals well on all four edges, oil will seep past the wires where they pass through the grommet.  Once that begins, it's difficult to stop, as degreaser can't penetrate well enough to flush oil out to allow a good seal between the wires and the grommet.  About the best I can do is to degrase the wires on each side of the grommet thoroughly as possible, then make it ugly.  Huh?  A crusty old Kaw mechanic told me once to "make it ugly" when applying sealer to that grommet/wire area, meaning use a copious amount & don't worry about what it looks like.  It works.  Mostly.

Someone here (maybe swest?  Please correct me if wrong) mentioned long ago that he'd had success using Krazy Glue-type potion (ethyl cyanoacrylate) to seal where the wires pass through the grommet.  We haven't tried that.

Good Ridin'
slmjim
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Alternator cover torque sequence? 01 Sep 2021 09:12 #854685

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
are you certain the cover is flat? i was chasing an oil leak on a suzuki recently nothing seemed to make a difference until i finally realized the cover was warped ever so slightly. i lapped it lightly on a surface plate and it solved the problem

Alternator cover torque sequence? 25 Sep 2021 07:15 #855752

• detmeyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm having the exact same problem with oil leaking from the same place.  I bought an aftermarket gasket on line as there was nothing left of the original, and one surface of the gasket is shiny smooth and the other is more course like a normal gasket.  I am cleaning the engine-side off now; the parts-side is clean. 

Do you use only sealer around the grommet and none on the gasket, or use sealant on the gasket, both sides of the gasket...? 

I've had this thing on and off about five times trying to seal it.
"...and one day, I'll be dead yo yo yo."

Alternator cover torque sequence? 27 Sep 2021 10:30 #855832

• detmeyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
MartyZ1000, have you had any luck yet?  I finally found out why mine is leaking from the same area that you described.  I found a crack in the cover near the forward of the two long bolts.  There are scrapes on it, evidence that it had fell over or struck something.  I will attempt to seal the crack and if your solution doesn't work, I suggest you very close at your cover with your reading glasses or magnifying glass.
"...and one day, I'll be dead yo yo yo."

• Page: