Z1 Head Weeping Oil

• hardrockminer
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jun 2021 13:32 - 28 Jun 2021 13:43 #850847 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Z1 Head Weeping Oil
I wonder if it's covered under warranty?

More seriously, I was thinking maybe JB Weld on the inside but they would be difficult to access because they are at roughly the elevation of the valve guide.

Speaking of weeping oil...I had the blue bike out on Friday for a run up to Revelstoke, about 200 miles round trip.  While having lunch in Revelstoke I was checking over the bike and noticed an oil sheen on my kick starter.  Could not find a source so made a mental note to check it out when we (Sweetums on her DR) returned.  Well I let it go until today, when I started checking.  The head gasket looked dry.  So did the rear of the valve cover gasket.  The cam plugs looked to be in place although one of them seemed to be "sucked in" a tad.  I took the valve cover off and I think I discovered the source.  The photo shows the rear cam plug, the nearest one to the kick starter.  Somehow it must have jammed against the cam and was pulled apart.  The metal part was completely separated from the plastic.  First time I've ever seen that.  

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
  • Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 13:43 by hardrockminer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    28 Jun 2021 14:31 #850854 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic Z1 Head Weeping Oil

I wonder if it's covered under warranty?

More seriously, I was thinking maybe JB Weld on the inside but they would be difficult to access because they are at roughly the elevation of the valve guide.

Speaking of weeping oil...I had the blue bike out on Friday for a run up to Revelstoke, about 200 miles round trip.  While having lunch in Revelstoke I was checking over the bike and noticed an oil sheen on my kick starter.  Could not find a source so made a mental note to check it out when we (Sweetums on her DR) returned.  Well I let it go until today, when I started checking.  The head gasket looked dry.  So did the rear of the valve cover gasket.  The cam plugs looked to be in place although one of them seemed to be "sucked in" a tad.  I took the valve cover off and I think I discovered the source.  The photo shows the rear cam plug, the nearest one to the kick starter.  Somehow it must have jammed against the cam and was pulled apart.  The metal part was completely separated from the plastic.  First time I've ever seen that.  

This is the reason why some guys swap the in-side out of the rubber cam end plugs or put some Aluminum APE plugs in.

More
    28 Jun 2021 14:31 #850855 by krazee1
    Replied by krazee1 on topic Z1 Head Weeping Oil
    I would think the plugs would have a slight taper before installation,  they would of course not have a taper after removing them from the straight hole that basically  swaged the softer material when they were installed.

IMHO,  Mike

Former M.E. at Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, Lincoln, NE
    1966 W1 (the Z1 of 1966-50H.P. and 100mph!)
    1974 Z1
    1978 KZ1000 LTD
    1976 KZ900B pile O parts
    1980 KZ750E
    1980 Honda XL250S (I know, wrong flavor!)

More
    29 Jun 2021 10:59 #850885 by urankjj
    Replied by urankjj on topic Z1 Head Weeping Oil
    Long ago when my KZ-1000 motor was put together we vented the valve cover. I don't specifically remember why, but I guess just because of the size, 1327cc.  Anyway just a thought.