• Page:

TOPIC:

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 05:17 #849395

• Southpaw
  • Southpaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello All,
Wondering if anyone has a setup to pull the motor complete without laying the bike on its side and is willing to share some pics of it?? I built a drag bike and i know im gonna have the motor in and out several times a year. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 05:31 #849396

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
Jack with a block on it. Take the weight, undo and remove the bolts, jack it a bit more, slide a couple of 10mm x 1m rods through the block mounts, person each side, lift it out using the rods as grip points.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 05:49 #849397

• Southpaw
  • User
Huh would have never thought 10 mm rods would hold the weight of the engine. I think i can adapt that for one person. Thank you

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 06:24 #849399

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Here's what I used to do, back in the day - I fabbed a plate out of 3/16" aluminum to replace the oil pan.  So, remove the pan and oil pump and bolt on the flat plate.  This gives you an extra 3/4" or so of working clearance.  Also, you can now slide a floor jack, with a wooden block, underneath the motor to steady it while you remove the motor mount bolts.  If your front and top rear motor mounts are tapped for 1/2"-13, then thread in some 6" long bolts to use as lifting handles.  If motor mount holes are untapped, then use lengths of steel roundstock, as Warren had mentioned.  

The one catch, using this method, is that you need to have a means to get the bike up off of the ground in order to slide the floor jack underneath it.  Initially, I made up a bike stand with a removable center section.  I later moved on to a Handy air lift.  I mounted a Pingel wheel chock at the rear so that I could roll the front end of the dragbike up onto that, strap the bike in place, then lift the rear with a floorjack and place a stand underneath the rear slick.  The pic at the bottom kinda gives you the idea.

Hope this helps and may every pass down the track be a straight one!

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
Attachments:

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 06:39 #849400

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1859
Excuse the crude hand sketch. I saw something like this built once. It bolts to the head at the carb holder/manifold. I’d like comments from the forum.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mikaw.

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 06:56 #849403

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Call me a dinosaur 

Simple is good

2 guys    plus broom handle and long threaded rod

Broom handle is strapped in place  between  exhaust  studs  , strap goes around back of head / block.   Now you have control of front of motor

Next push rod thru rear  top engine case    Nut in place  for no slip    Now you have control of rear of engine 

Lift out   Done 

We changed motors at the dragstrip  between rounds  

Now depending on frame configuration   rear rods can be placed in different  mount holes  to make this work
Hope this helps
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 07:19 #849404

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

Excuse the crude hand sketch. I saw something like this built once. It bolts to the head at the carb holder/manifold. I’d like comments from the forum.

Seems like somebody here swore that was perfectly safe and reasonable. I still don’t believe it.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 07:44 #849406

• Southpaw
  • User
That plate bolted to the carb spigots  seems a little sketchy.

DragMike i like that idea with the oil pan. I am a one man band and my days of picking up 200+ lb motors are over...LOL

Last edit: by Southpaw.

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 07:51 #849408

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Attached is a picture of the steel plate that Mikaw referred to.  I don't recall the actual name of the person that made this plate for me , but his handle on this site was Hardgun I think.  He also made an engine stand for me.  The engine plate is made from .250" thick steel plate.  Unfortunately, by the time I received the plate I decided to not remove the engine and kept it in the bike, so I have no idea how it actually works.  There were some pics on the website of the plate in action as I recall.  I too wondered about the strength of the plate and tested it in a crude fashion.  I placed it over one of my basement I-beams with a rope thru the hole for the lift attachment and I hung from it.  It didn't break, nor even bend and I am 210 pounds.  One of my sons tried it with the same results and he weighs more than me.  So I have no doubt about the strength of this plate.  How well the attachment is made via the screws is the only variable in this that may lead to failure.  I think with decent bolts completely tightened to lock the plate on the engine there should be no issues.  I would not hesitate to use the plate.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Last edit: by Rick H..

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 08:02 #849409

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
I believe the plate shown above will work fine . 
I think my method works fine too.
So as Im 3 times the age I was when swapping motors  regularly  ( Bad Back , Ouch )  I would combine  the two methods  
 plate for lifting weight 
 rods and broom handle for more control 

oil pan  plate is cool  ,and protects  the lower case  but you still need to take the weight in hand  at some point to sneak  motor out the side of the frame 

Enjoy
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 08:02 #849410

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
The engine lift hook Mikaw referred to.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Mikaw, Rick H., Southpaw

Engine removal 01 Jun 2021 08:02 #849411

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
I have no doubt about the plate, my concern is over those eight small bolts tightened into soft, relatively thin, aluminum.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: