Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Head Gasket Repair 01 Apr 2021 17:08 #845962

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
I would try to locate new NOS 
1984 750 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 05:49 #845986

• 82KZ305Belt
  • 82KZ305Belt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
is it normal to ruin the old studs when doing this job? The guy wants me to supply "one more than is required" which, having no knowledge of this job, has me wondering if I should take it to him after all. It may be perfectly normal, I don't know...but seems odd.

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 05:57 #845988

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Sounds like he's used to losing one per job.  I would think the old studs should be just fine for re-use unless the manual recommends replacement.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 06:03 #845990

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
I took "one more than is required" to mean he wants me to supply 9 (I think it uses 8, but not sure) which would mean he plans to ruin all of the old ones plus one of those that I supply. I don't know if that interpretation is correct but it concerns me.  It also bothers me that he just didnt say "bring me 9" and is making me research how many is "one more than required". I know part of it is to save me money, but sheesh.

Last edit: by 82KZ305Belt.

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 06:33 #845994

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
What studs?  For the cylinder head?  And why replace them?

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 07:06 #845995

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

What studs?  For the cylinder head?  And why replace them?

yes. Exactly. My question too. I know they can get damaged but why is he expecting them to?

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 11:21 #846009

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Now he says he'll reuse what he can, but to bring an extra just in case.  That at least makes some sense. Maybe he's just a poor communicator or I'm a bad communicatee.

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 12:43 #846014

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
He is the wrong mechanic to do the engine job. Who knows what next on his spare parts to-do-list, like: ".....you need a new engine"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Head Gasket Repair 02 Apr 2021 13:31 #846016

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Unfortunately everyone around here might be the wrong person for the job, especially myself. There really isn't a classic Japanese bike mechanic within 100 miles. I called and emailed one guy who does dirt bikes but haven't heard back and he's 30 miles farther away than the guy I've been talking to.  

Edit: OK, I did find another shop who said they'd do it. They quoted about the same as the first guy, $400-500. And they said they wouldn't need any head studs. But they are also 30 miles away...decisions, decisions...

Head Gasket Repair 03 Apr 2021 06:34 #846034

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
If you think the other shop is a better choice then I would go there regardless of the 30 mile distance.  Your peace of mind has no mileage limit and that's a fact.  Having said that, I don't find much to be concerned with regarding the first guys desire to have an extra bolt.  It could be he wants to be prepared for the "just in case" situation.  If it bothers you I would ask him why he wants one extra bolt?  Unless he is hiding something he should freely tell you why he wants it.  Personally I have purchased more parts then needed just to have a spare.  You just never know when you might need a spare especially when it involves parts that may be difficult to get later on.  On the other hand I would be concerned when someone claims he won't need any bolts.  How does he know that at this stage?  What if he gets it apart and discovers oops, I really do need bolts?  Now he has to go back on what he said and have you buy bolts or buy the bolts himself??  Last but not least is to see if they can supply names of people they have done work for and check with them for satisfaction purposes.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZ305Belt

Last edit: by Rick H..

Head Gasket Repair 03 Apr 2021 19:25 #846082

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
I'd much rather have the work done 5 miles away than 30 and I was prepared to give him a chance,  but...when I asked him if it made sense to change the valve stem seals too he paused for a while and said, in a very confused tone, "you mean...the tire valve stems?"  Now I know he can't possibly be that stupid but I think I'll pass and go 30 miles.   There's something just not right here...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Head Gasket Repair 03 Apr 2021 20:47 #846087

• Highway Magician
  • User
  • Thank you received: 34
Definitely do not take it to this poser.  I'm on an AMG Forum.  A recent post was an AMG E55 for parts.  The engine grenaded due to...  Wait for it...  Here it is... 
An improper oil change by a hack shop!  

Motorcycle builder since 1973. Master Tech. Current bike: 1982 GPZ1100B2.