• Page:

TOPIC:

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 02:47 #842721

• Sheath
  • Sheath's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey everyone, just lately I've been reading a lot about zx1 extralube and it seems to be miracle stuff! Apart from lower engine noise and all the other benefits one thing that stood out to me is that compression can be improved (for about 6000 miles anyway) and that could be useful for me cos about 3 years ago me and a Kawasaki technician tested the compression on my 1000st and 3 cylinders were within 4 psi but No.2 was 17 down, we did all the shims, got it spot on, no difference then a wet test and No.2 shot up, at the time he said not to worry and in the future we could just "bust the Glaze" and fit new rings, my technician friend passed away last April :( and that one cylinder still bothers me. ...back to zx1 I wonder if you can take the plugs out and put a few drops in each cylinder then turn it over a few times and it'll improve things or are you strictly supposed to put it in the engine oil, in which case I worry about the clutch, after all it is a friction eliminator. ..
One day I'll get the motor refreshed but in the uk that means sending it to someone far away and paying a heap of money!
Any advice would be great thanks everyone :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 03:44 #842723

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1505
Don't waste your money.
There are no miracle cures for engine wear.
17 PSI is the upper accepted difference between cylinders on an average used engine.
A simple leakdown test on the affected cylinder will help pinpoint the cause.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheath

Last edit: by zed1015.

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 05:22 #842724

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1059
I agree with zed1015, but it's your money and your choice. Instead of sending the engine away, why not do it yourself?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 05:27 #842725

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2765
Just my opinion but I'd keep riding it until running problems present themselves. Chances are you've got many good miles left in that engine.B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheath, howardhb

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 05:31 #842726

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I second Nessism - my engine’s got one cylinder down about that much and it’s fine.
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 06:14 #842728

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Well I must admit it does run really well and quiet and it does still pull strong although it has lost a bit of top speed over the last year or so, the carbs are in balance and it's only been maybe 4000 miles since the shim job... I've got the tools to de glaze the bores and fit new rings but I'd prefer the help and guidance of an experienced mechanic as I would want it to run as well as kawasaki intended with compression to match! I'm only an enthusiast, mechanics isn't day to day for me! ;)

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 16:08 #842761

• Mc Tavish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
As Zed said , no miracle cures mate.
That stuff will almost certainly result in your clutch slipping and the worst part is once you put that in it is extremely hard to get out.
1978 z650C

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 31 Jan 2021 21:31 #842768

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Yes I thought about it more last night and I agree that the clutch will probably slip as a result and if I did put a few drops directly into the cylinders it might give the effect of glazed bores anyway! ....

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 01 Feb 2021 07:59 #842782

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 530
I grew up hearing about saw dust in crackcase of cars from shady used car salesman! The it was STP, Bardhal, Motor Honey, up to Slick 50! and so on! What was the warranty scam with WYNN's? treatment? Put in everything, engine, tranny, rear end? Guaranteed not to blow up! Then a few yrs. down the road? Those salesman were long gone!

Hey try it?? I've put Marvels Mystery Oil in the gas of EVERYthing I've owned for the past 40+ years!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 01 Feb 2021 08:05 #842783

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 530
Any advice would be great thanks everyone :) [/quote]

Hey! I like your take on the Paint Job! And customizing to your liking! Looks Cool!! I never was much on drive shafts. But I have bought 3 shaft E's for scrap to dismantal in the past 3 yrs. for the Mark II cranks, cases and top ends! Tried to sell stuff? But those shafties are all a little different on the size of everything?
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 01 Feb 2021 09:57 #842790

• Sheath
  • User
  • 05 17 1984
Hey thanks kZ1kzonly :cheer: there's a company near me called wheel wizards that powder coated the wheels six years ago and one of their guys does a bit of general spraying so I gave him all the panels and a roll of gold vinyl and white pinstripe and he did a fantastic "1000H" job :) it's really funny at so many bike meets I've overheard "experts " discussing what a good job I've done converting it from fuel injection to carbs!! Once I heard a guy saying "why would you convert an H to shaft drive?!" :laugh: they never seem to think of the obvious that it's just a paint job! As for the white wheels , that's kind of my thing, all my bikes apart from two spoke wheel bikes have had white wheels and I keep them spotless! ;)
Sadly in the uk many of the st's along with xs1100"s and gs1100g's were turned into trikes and some are still being converted to this day! I'd rather see a chain conversion carried out than a trike job I must admit....:side:

Using zx1 extralube in cylinders! 20 Apr 2023 05:55 #883475

• scottshyner
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I have been using ZX1 for over 20 years. It has gone in my GPZ 900, ZZR 1100, ZX9R, ZX12R and many more. XT's XR's and so on. It has never once caused a problem and has only remedied the ago old Kawasaki gearbox problems!!!!!!! I could not go on enough about it!!!!!! It is amazing and is the least troublesome product I have used!!!!!! I used to hand brush it on my chain and get no wear or adjustment of a season!!! I know BSB and WSB teams use it and have done very well with it.  Do not listen to scaremongers as they would have you stay in and never go out!!!!!! Here are a couple of others who agree with me and lots of others seem to love thses guys so don't just take my word for it!!!!!!

www.laceysmotorcycles.co.uk/team-zx1

• Page: