• Page:

TOPIC:

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 06:56 #841473

• Shankkole
  • Shankkole's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
Hello folks
I am trying to decide if it is wise to purchase an additional welded crank for my trike, have my current one welded, or leave it be. I believe in 2 is 1 and 1 is none, but is an extra crank needed if not drag racing.The trike will be a slightly modified engine but not the crazy train I was envisioning with a turbo etc.The MAIN thing in my thoughts are the heavy ass resistance from my rear tires,and that there will be no loss of traction with my setup so every take off into traffic is a hole shot. just want to do this right once and be done.It seems I can buy a welded crank for a bit more than the costs to weld but I'm unsure of which path to take.What say you all?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 07:29 #841474

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1461
If your current crank is a good one then I would get that indexed and welded.
Done correctly the crank needs stripping , inspecting and then aligning and welding.
Any fault will be found during that process and action can be taken but you will end up with a crank that is know to be up to the job.
Buying one already done is taking a risk on an unknown quantity with nothing known of its history and it may well be twisted or heading towards the end of its life if it's been run in anger on the track.
Generally speaking though these cranks are pretty hard to kill and most have been welded for use in road bikes that never actually get anywhere near the revs or traction that takes advantage of having it done.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shankkole

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 07:33 #841475

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1968
Never needed a spare once the first one is done right .
Who will be doing the welding ? Will you be having the crank checked for indexing ?
Do it once properly and it will last a lifetime.
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 07:46 #841476

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
That Just Screams "Big Daddy Roth", "Rat Fink", "George Barris"!! I grew up in the 60's! Dreaming of this stuff, building model kits and staring at Hot Rod mags!
I've watched your build from the start. Nice Work!!!! I paint and do minor fab work also. Now the time it takes!
Cranks? Start fresh with a virgin crank!!! Have any competent machinist! check for true and straight 1st.
Before welding pins! Of course. And the welds have to be tig welded. Inside ones are tough! Once they are welded that's it! I have went through a lot of this stuff over 40 yrs! I have seen barn jobs, were a stick arc welder was used.
And If anyone has ever seen a crank guy working on a Kaw pinned crank you would think they were destroying it. A Barney Rubble 3 or 4 pound hand sledge! 1-1/2" pieces of round tool steel! Beating on it between journals! to move it .001, 002"
Or, you could always go with the milled down center cap with the tool steel plate and the heavy duty crank case studs!
Post some more pics! Or are Ya' still finishing up the engine and final details?
Great Job! More pictures! I'll send them to Jack @ cycledrag dot com. He was raised a KZ kid. And owns one and worships these old Z1/KZ motorcycles! Bring this cool ass trike to US 131 in Martin, MI. or Dragway 42 in West Salem, Ohio this summer to one of the bike drag meets! Looks like your in SE MI.?
It's coffee morning, just passing by!
Nice Work!
Marty in Buffalo
You will be talked into making a mild video pass! It will be a Utube hit!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shankkole

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 07:49 #841477

• Shankkole
  • User
I was looking at pitstop, or APE and YES I am looking at having it done correctly(not me) Im into learning and growing my skills but I'm out on this.I am not looking for the cheapest way but the smart play!You are telling me to spend $on good labor to match my good part rather than taking a chance on eBay parts welded by unknown individuals.I nearly purchased a "STEEL ROD" to check alignment but figured if its getting sent out they will index before/ after welding.

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 08:03 #841478

• Shankkole
  • User
Thank you for the compliments Z1KZ.I am getting into the final bits but this girl HAS got to roar again.Once rolling She will be around the midwest and further for sure.I was a dirt road farm boy who dreamed of Ed roth and wild ass funk from the beginning(glad theres others ).I will keep the build pics coming but I have # projects going right now and I'm still gathering on this one for now but end of winter will be engine Re assembly.

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 11:12 #841486

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
Cut and paste from the resident race bike guru (Rapidray) on The GS Resources...

"There are only THREE places I will send a roller bearing GS crank for work, Pearson Racing in Ohio, Gardner Racing Concepts in Maine, & Accurate Crankshafts in Florida. I wouldn't send my lawnmower crank to Falicon!!!! The 3 above are the only ones I use & they know what they are doing, are honest & do good work."

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 11:46 #841488

• Shankkole
  • User

Nessism wrote: Cut and paste from the resident race bike guru (Rapidray) on The GS Resources...

"There are only THREE places I will send a roller bearing GS crank for work, Pearson Racing in Ohio, Gardner Racing Concepts in Maine, & Accurate Crankshafts in Florida. I wouldn't send my lawnmower crank to Falicon!!!! The 3 above are the only ones I use & they know what they are doing, are honest & do good work."

I hear ya, THANK YOU! looking up Pearson racing now since they are a stones throw.Fingers crossed this can stay moving forward if I get ahold of them now, guessing anyone good is busy so I still have some lead time to play with.Tank pic for eye candy.
Attachments:

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 11:58 #841490

• Shankkole
  • User
I got the phone number and will call monday. I have a feeling this will pinch me on my budget. Im hoping for under a thousand but expect over 500$.

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 12:12 #841491

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
I'm in Western New York.
"Jim Mangus" Personal childhood friend. "Jim's Cylinder Heads" has been doing my heads and cranks since they came out and started twisting in the late 70's. Jim ran Top Fuel Nitro with Larry Spiderman and Elmer Trett. Jim is semi- retired, but does my work on side for a favor.

And of course "Paul Gast" infamous "FBG" both 20 minutes from my home. Of course shipping is killer on crank weights.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 12:29 #841493

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
A quick Tangent! This will confuse a lot of people! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Jim designed and built a 2 stroke, Single Cam, Nitro / Diesel Blower engine.
It did run, there is old youtube video out there of us running it in Shrievport, LA. around mid - late 1980's.
Never did make it reliable! Some people know of it.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Purchase welded crank or have original welded? 10 Jan 2021 13:02 #841495

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632

Shankkole wrote: I got the phone number and will call monday. I have a feeling this will pinch me on my budget. Im hoping for under a thousand but expect over 500$.

What motor is the crank going in?

I was searching a long while for an indexed and welded J-crank, and may have found a decent one.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.
  • Page: