Spark plugs

More
13 Nov 2020 08:12 #838426 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Spark plugs
Those colour tunes along with most compression testers etc come the shortest reach threads of the plug type they are intended for.
If they came with long reach threads there's bound to a few users who screw them into a short reach hole and damage a valve or something.
Idiot proofing is the usual term..

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2020 08:37 #838429 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Spark plugs

zed1015 wrote: Those colour tunes along with most compression testers etc come the shortest reach threads of the plug type they are intended for.
If they came with long reach threads there's bound to a few users who screw them into a short reach hole and damage a valve or something.

Is colortuner a good tool for tuning?

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

More
13 Nov 2020 09:17 #838430 by zed1015

gordone wrote:

zed1015 wrote: Those colour tunes along with most compression testers etc come the shortest reach threads of the plug type they are intended for.

Is colortuner a good tool for tuning?

Some people love them..
I don't.
They can give misleading readings with modern fuel and weren't that great before.
Wasted my time using them a few times back in the day and always had to correct the fueling to actually run correctly once out on the road and under load..
Ok I suppose to get somewhere in the ballpark if the carbs are miles out but don't take the results as gospel and you will get just as close following normal adjustment procedure.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS

The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

More
13 Nov 2020 09:50 #838431 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic Spark plugs
I don't use my colour tunes, I have two, 1 has a long reach thread with spacer to convert to short reach, the other has the standard short thread.

More
13 Nov 2020 10:10 #838433 by BCScott
Replied by BCScott on topic Spark plugs

Warren3200gt wrote: All sounds like a lot of faffing to me. Why not just use a reverse action thread chaser. Goes through the plug hole, expand it and unscrew it. It brings any cut material out with it and nothing can drop into the cylinder as the expander plate is the internal thread size.

www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-MS003-Reverse-Ac...Thread/dp/B0086306NO

Thanks. I just ordered one (looks rebranded) from amazon canada: www.amazon.ca/Powerbuilt-640811-Back-Tap...id=1605290934&sr=8-2

Seems a lot safer.

Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
13 Nov 2020 10:50 #838435 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Spark plugs

gordone wrote: Is colortuner a good tool for tuning?

I have one, and I thought it was useful. I have only used it for adjusting the idle air screws. I'm not sure how one might use it for anything other than adjusting idle mixture.

I thought it was useful to be able to look at the color of the spark as well as listen to the idle speed change as I adjusted the air screws. And I thought it was useful to set each cylinder to the same color, since I could see the combustion color change without a very noticeable difference in the engine speed or sound.

Also, I noticed that the #3 cylinder was occasionally misfiring at idle. I could hear the idle speed drop very slightly at the same time I noticed the spark going out. I hadn't noticed the stumble before I watched the misfire through the colourtune window, and I don't think I would have been able to pinpoint which cylinder was having the issue without it. I never got around to tracking down that specific issue, but it exposed the issue very clearly.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

More
14 Nov 2020 16:53 #838489 by Mc Tavish
Replied by Mc Tavish on topic Spark plugs
You would think owning a 40+ year old motorcycle that there would be much better use of time than farting around with a colourtune!

Anyway, must go now as I'm indexing the sparkplug on my lawnmower.

1978 z650C

More
14 Nov 2020 17:01 #838490 by zed1015

Mc Tavish wrote: You would think owning a 40+ year old motorcycle that there would be much better use of time than farting around with a colourtune!

Anyway, must go now as I'm indexing the sparkplug on my lawnmower.

Make sure you side gap it too to expose the maximum amount of spark to the mix.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mc Tavish

More
18 Nov 2020 13:51 #838606 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Spark plugs

DOHC wrote:

gordone wrote: Is colortuner a good tool for tuning?

I have one, and I thought it was useful. I have only used it for adjusting the idle air screws. I'm not sure how one might use it for anything other than adjusting idle mixture.

I thought it was useful to be able to look at the color of the spark as well as listen to the idle speed change as I adjusted the air screws. And I thought it was useful to set each cylinder to the same color, since I could see the combustion color change without a very noticeable difference in the engine speed or sound.

Also, I noticed that the #3 cylinder was occasionally misfiring at idle. I could hear the idle speed drop very slightly at the same time I noticed the spark going out. I hadn't noticed the stumble before I watched the misfire through the colourtune window, and I don't think I would have been able to pinpoint which cylinder was having the issue without it. I never got around to tracking down that specific issue, but it exposed the issue very clearly.

I understand, I have one I have not used, maybe I shall try it when the spring comes to adjust the idle mix. I was thinking the temperature on the colourtune was off compare to the sparkplug maybe..,

Thank for feedback all.

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine