Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How much power can stock con rods handle? 20 Jul 2020 22:22 #831095

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
So I'm in a dilemma with project creep. I'm working on this big bore radical head package for a KZ750 twin. I expect about a 60-65% increase in power. From about 47-50 at the wheel to 75-80 at the wheel. I'm worried that the factory connecting rods are not up to the task. The later style 750t rods look to be much stronger than the early style but I cannot find any NOS late style rods. As far as I see it, I have three options. 1. use NOS early style rods. 2. find someone to recondition late style rods(recommendations?). 3. get custom rods. I have been looking at the kz1000 stuff as a measuring stick for what I'm doing. What kind of power increase can the stock kz1000 rods handle? 70% increase? Do you think the stock early style kz750 rods can handle 80HP? Custom rods are quite expensive ($1000+) and I cannot decide if its worth it. But i also don't want to scrap thousands of dollars when one of these stock rods decides to create additional crank case venting. thoughts?

TLDR:

Can stock kz750 twin rods handle 80HP? should I get custom rods?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 05:01 #831103

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I think RPM may be a bigger factor than hp. As long as you aren't going to spin the engine super fast I think those stock rods should be okay. Maybe go with the late style and have them polished and shot peened? And can you fit them with high grade bolts?

In terms of custom I suppose that would be ideal, but in terms of ideal some larger wrist pins may be good as well. Too late for all that though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 05:12 #831104

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 295
KZ1000 rods will never work on a KZ750 be it 2 or 4 cylinder.
Hint; look at the big end. $1000 for 2 custom rods?
Stock rods can be improved.
What I have done on automotive V8s is polish the beams and lighten the balance pads on the big and small ends.
Then had the machine shop install ARP bolts shot peen and balance the rotating assembly.
Check out ARPs site, they have the measurements listed with the bolts.
Find a shop to at least shot peen them if not resize the big end.
You can balance the rods yourself.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 05:22 #831105

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
In answer to part of your question regarding 1000 rods.
They can take over 250 hp , so 3 times stock easily.
This is with a polished , shotpeened , resized , and balanced assembly.
Never blew a rod while racing . Melted pistons and melted heads , but never blew a lower end .
ED and Nebr Rex is on a sound path . Dont raise the redline too much and I would use rebuilt stock rods
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 09:53 #831122

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 367
You should contact Steve Darlington (goes by darlington on here) he is into the vintage road racing up here in Ontario, Canada.

He has a friend who races by the name of Fernando who campaigns a KZ750 twin punched out to 880cc, not sure if he runs stock rods but he has done a ton of self development on that motor. I think he is/was putting out 82HP and 68ftlbs to the rear wheel. I believe with that setup it was unreliable but it had all the go fast stuff done to it.

He could give you insight into the bottom end, oiling issues, balancers, etc.

Just PM Steve and ask.

Just my two cents on stock Kawasaki rods - They are tough forged units in stock form and can take a huge amount of abuse, the weak link would be the bearings and oiling system. If your running a highly oversized bore piston speed at high RPM becomes the critical issue.

Last edit: by Injected.

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 13:40 #831152

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
Yes I was quoted $1000 for 4 con rods from CP Carillo, the minimum setup fee is a killer.

If the KZ1000 rods are good for a 300% power increase I think its safe to assume that the stock 750 rods can handle 150-180%. I will have them shot peened and resized - I was told that shot peening can release stress which can make the rod go oval or twist so they 100% need to be checked after. Does anyone know any reputable shops to recondition rods? APE told me to piss up a rope, and i haven't found anyone locally that is willing to do it. It seems aftermarket con rods have gotten so cheap very few shops are reconditioning OEM.

I was planning on having the whole rotating assembly balanced by a local guy who specializes in that type of work. But before i can get to that I need to have the con rods sorted out. I found some connecting rod bolts form a Mitsubishi Evo that are pretty much the same dimensions but the bolt head is a different shape so the head twists when torqued down, thoughts on using these bolts?

Attachments:

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 13:40 #831153

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member

Injected wrote: You should contact Steve Darlington (goes by darlington on here) he is into the vintage road racing up here in Ontario, Canada.

He has a friend who races by the name of Fernando who campaigns a KZ750 twin punched out to 880cc, not sure if he runs stock rods but he has done a ton of self development on that motor. I think he is/was putting out 82HP and 68ftlbs to the rear wheel. I believe with that setup it was unreliable but it had all the go fast stuff done to it.

He could give you insight into the bottom end, oiling issues, balancers, etc.

Just PM Steve and ask.

Just my two cents on stock Kawasaki rods - They are tough forged units in stock form and can take a huge amount of abuse, the weak link would be the bearings and oiling system. If your running a highly oversized bore piston speed at high RPM becomes the critical issue.

thank you I have reached out to him.

How much power can stock con rods handle? 21 Jul 2020 13:53 #831156

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
Also another question on the con rod bearing side: the crank journals are exactly 1.500". I'm assuming this is a fairly standard size. Is there a resource to cross reference bearings to find something for a late model car or bike? Would getting a modern bearing be worth the effort?

• Page: