Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 10:59 #830568

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
Good catch Warren
With no follow up from OP we are all just guessing as to what he may have done to contribute to the overfill.
Nice conversation was had by all of us .
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 11:03 #830569

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154

Warren3200gt wrote: The op's not posted again on the subject. The obvious answer to his issue is that he swopped the filter and drained the oil whilst the bike was on the sidestand as its easier to work under the engine that way. This would leave a significant amount of oil in the sump undrained. Re fill with 3.7lt of new oil without checking the sight window and is surprised that the oil level is too high.:blush: :whistle:

Schoolboy error then:)

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 12:29 #830574

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30

gavroyer wrote:

I dislike holding the bike upright as I am never sure that I have it perfectly upright, which I suspect is more important than the rear wheel being a little higher than normal.

This. The bike will pitch forward maybe 5-10 degrees when it's on the centre stand compared to when it's on the wheels. This combined with the sight glass not being on the extreme end of the crankcase and the fact that there's a fairly generous margin for over/under filling means that getting the bike laterally perpendicular is much more important than the longitudinal pitch, especially since the latter is going to be affected by tire pressure, oil and fuel level, accessories, etc. You're probably getting the most consistent measurement on the centre stand anyway because you're eliminating the variable that is the rear suspension.

Held vertical or on center-stand is going to make absolutely zero difference in terms of spotting oil level in the window.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 17:36 #830606

• gavroyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13

cb900f wrote:

gavroyer wrote:

I dislike holding the bike upright as I am never sure that I have it perfectly upright, which I suspect is more important than the rear wheel being a little higher than normal.

This. The bike will pitch forward maybe 5-10 degrees when it's on the centre stand compared to when it's on the wheels. This combined with the sight glass not being on the extreme end of the crankcase and the fact that there's a fairly generous margin for over/under filling means that getting the bike laterally perpendicular is much more important than the longitudinal pitch, especially since the latter is going to be affected by tire pressure, oil and fuel level, accessories, etc. You're probably getting the most consistent measurement on the centre stand anyway because you're eliminating the variable that is the rear suspension.

Held vertical or on center-stand is going to make absolutely zero difference in terms of spotting oil level in the window.

If you manage to hold it perfectly vertical, yes. In practice it's very difficult to get it perfectly vertical, and to hold it steady for long enough to read the oil level, while also not dropping the bike. It's much easier to put it on the centre stand and let the bike hold itself up.
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 17:42 #830607

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30

gavroyer wrote:

cb900f wrote: If you manage to hold it perfectly vertical, yes. In practice it's very difficult to get it perfectly vertical, and to hold it steady for long enough to read the oil level, while also not dropping the bike. It's much easier to put it on the centre stand and let the bike hold itself up.

Yes, but the point is:, it doesn't make any difference to the oil level if the bike is on the center stand or, on it's wheels, as long is it vertical.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 20:52 #830615

• chrisM
  • chrisM's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for all the replies and some interesting info.
to answer a few questions:
- bike was on the center stand when I changed the oil.
- no gas smell (though I have had that before, years ago and that was no fun to deal with)
- I let it drain for a good long while before replacing the filter.
- After driving it about 100 miles total, the oil level did sink down to the right spot. In fact I had to add a bit of oil (probably the bit that I drained out.

I'm just confused as to why it would take that long for the level to appear normal. I used to leak oil a lot and am used to checking the oil regularly and carrying around quarts to refill. I did a total rebuild last summer, so no oil leaks any more, but Its tough checking oil level not on the center stand. I'm 6'4" so getting that low to the ground while tipping the bike to hold it steady is no fun.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 23:27 #830622

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
As long as its OK that is all that matters, as to why it stayed in the window is anybody's guess, I don't have a centre stand and cannot fit one so I use a scissor type jack to keep mine upright.