Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 05:04 #830440

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670

cb900f wrote:

Nessism wrote: I like to check when the engine is cold because that way you know all the oil has drained back. Oil expands when hot so it may be over the window after a ride if it's normally at the top of the window when cold.

Unlikely for oil to appear at a higher level on a hot engine compared with a cold one (where all the oil galleries have drained back into the sump) unless the motor galleries drain extremely quickly. Some MFRs specify measuring the oil level after the motor has run a few minutes (from cold) to ensure oil is loaded into the motor's galleries and oil cooler (if applicable). On these motors the oil level appears too high if measured cold without circulating first. The owner's manual should specify the correct procedure.

Suzuki GS manuals specify the exact procedure you mention and I've used it for years. To be honest though, checking cold, or hot, as long as a suitable amount of time is allowed for the oil to drain back, are both acceptable in my book too. Main thing is to make sure the oil is visible in the window. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 05:57 #830444

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1966
So,
Unanswered question and never to be known
Did all the old oil get removed before refill ?????
Simple is best

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 17:32 #830490

• Bent Trigger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I have always had the bike on the tires with my hand on the bars while checking the window. Seems being on the center stand will be the opposite of having the rider in the bike. But the window is closer to the rear of the case, so there may be more volume in the leaning forward. That being said I have never worked in the Engineering Dept Of Kawasaki. Chris

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 21:13 #830515

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670

Bent Trigger wrote: I have always had the bike on the tires with my hand on the bars while checking the window. Seems being on the center stand will be the opposite of having the rider in the bike. But the window is closer to the rear of the case, so there may be more volume in the leaning forward. That being said I have never worked in the Engineering Dept Of Kawasaki. Chris

You're assuming that the oil level as shown in the window is supposed to represent the oil level when the bike is going down the road. Don't think that's the case. The window is simply a representation of where the oil should be when checking.

Oh, and here is a quick survey of the factory manuals...

550 says check either on the center stand or held level
early 1000 says on the center stand
650 & 750 says on the center stand
later 1000/1100 says held level

oil level too high but correct oil amount 12 Jul 2020 23:47 #830526

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1454
Just stand it upright.
Whether on its wheels or on the mainstand as long as the oil level is somewhere between lines in the window when cold it'll be fine.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 05:27 #830537

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1020
It sounds like you changed the oil correctly and used the correct amount. If you added the oil and then checked at the window you would have seen the oil higher than normal. The reason is because oil will not enter the filter until the engine is turned over. I suggest you start the engine and run it for 30 seconds or so. This will allow the oil pump to fill the filter chamber. Then let the bike sit for a few minutes and then check the level. It should be fine.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 06:33 #830541

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
The op says he changed the oil and filter and rode it around for 60 miles before checking. All good.

I wonder if he has a failed float valve that has leaked fuel into the crankcase?

Tangent. --- If I checked the oil level in my first gen Concours while the engine was still hot, the level would be above the window. If I waited a few hours for it to cool, the level would be between the lines. That engine also has two oil drain screws.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 06:51 #830543

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050

zed1015 wrote: Just stand it upright.
Whether on its wheels or on the mainstand as long as the oil level is somewhere between lines in the window when cold it'll be fine.

Or a paddock stand or tie down straps or .......

I dislike holding the bike upright as I am never sure that I have it perfectly upright, which I suspect is more important than the rear wheel being a little higher than normal. I also worry a bit that I could lose my balance and have an expensive uh oh. Sadly, Kawasaki left me little choice on my ZRX, as it was built without a center stand. :angry:
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 08:52 #830550

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1020

TexasKZ wrote: The op says he changed the oil and filter and rode it around for 60 miles before checking. All good.

Apologies...I read the first post and completely missed the second part about driving the bike.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 09:47 #830557

• gavroyer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13

I dislike holding the bike upright as I am never sure that I have it perfectly upright, which I suspect is more important than the rear wheel being a little higher than normal.

This. The bike will pitch forward maybe 5-10 degrees when it's on the centre stand compared to when it's on the wheels. This combined with the sight glass not being on the extreme end of the crankcase and the fact that there's a fairly generous margin for over/under filling means that getting the bike laterally perpendicular is much more important than the longitudinal pitch, especially since the latter is going to be affected by tire pressure, oil and fuel level, accessories, etc. You're probably getting the most consistent measurement on the centre stand anyway because you're eliminating the variable that is the rear suspension.
1980 KZ440-A1 LTD

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 10:16 #830564

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
By TexasKZ: ... I wonder if he has a failed float valve that has leaked fuel into the crankcase? ....

I would remove the oil filler cap & sniff for gasoline.

oil level too high but correct oil amount 13 Jul 2020 10:45 #830567

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 654
The op's not posted again on the subject. The obvious answer to his issue is that he swopped the filter and drained the oil whilst the bike was on the sidestand as its easier to work under the engine that way. This would leave a significant amount of oil in the sump undrained. Re fill with 3.7lt of new oil without checking the sight window and is surprised that the oil level is too high.:blush: :whistle:

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.