Cam shaft cover gasket

More
06 May 2020 20:05 #825158 by Bowserpup32
Cam shaft cover gasket was created by Bowserpup32
Hey guys. Real rookie here. I wanted to clean and polish the cam cover as well swap out the gasket and side plugs. I have a 78 A2

Is it as simple as just taking off the bolts and and swapping out the gasket then torquing correct pounds in correct order?? My friend said something about setting the crank shaft at top dead center??? No clue.

Any tips or suggestions. First time taking any bolts off engine here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 May 2020 20:37 #825159 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Cam shaft cover gasket
Yes, it is as you described. If you take the valve cover off you might as well check your valve clearance. If you're changing the gasket you should buy an OEM replacement. Unless the old one is leaking you can probably re-use it.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
06 May 2020 20:43 #825160 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cam shaft cover gasket
You may not be aware, but Kawasaki made many KZ models ranging from 1 cylinder 200cc models up to 6 cylinder 1300cc models and they sometimes used the same letter/number combinations for different models. It would be very helpful to us (and you) if you put your bike's year and actual model designation (not just 1978 A2) in your signature line. As an example, mine is a 1977 KZ650-C1. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry1

More
07 May 2020 04:16 #825166 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Cam shaft cover gasket
I see you have a Z1000 A2 and you don't need to set the crank at TDC to remove the cam cover .
Just undo be bolts and take it off.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
07 May 2020 05:54 #825170 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Cam shaft cover gasket
All good advise for you Bowserpup, I would add before you do anything get yourself a factory service manual or download one and read through the process of removing the cover. Also you are at the point once the cover is off that checking and correcting valve clearance is right at your fingertips, however you need a few special tools for that job. Most everything for how your engine runs hinges on correct valve adjustment. Bear in mind you are working with steel bolts threaded into aluminum components so use due care not to strip any threads out. Sometimes the cam cover can be a bit difficult to slide out and off the engine and you may have to fiddle with it. There is not much room to work with. I will second the comment on only use an OEM cover gasket and be careful installing the end plugs. A torque wrench reading inch pounds is your friend for this job.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry1

More
07 May 2020 08:07 - 07 May 2020 10:28 #825174 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Cam shaft cover gasket
As noted by RickH, get an INCH-lbs torque wrench before doing anything. Prior to removing the cover, clean everything above the engine so that no road grit or anything falls down into the engine. I use clean cloths w Endust, a brush & compressed air. Also, put the fuel tank somewhere so that it won't get damaged or knocked off a table or anything.

The timing advancer may be due for service. clean, check & lubricate it. easy. Get a gasket beforehand. You'll probably need an impact wrench to remove the engine cover bolts. I use a hand impact wrench >> fit the tool to a screw w the appropriate bit, then whack the wrench with a hammer. Do a test beforehand to make sure the tool direction is correct. You could spray the screws with a penetrant & let them soak overnight.

I would go ahead & do the valve clearance check. It's pretty straight forward, but it can be vexing the first time.
You may or may not have to actually do the adjustment >> changing shims is the hard part, but should be doable.
Last edit: 07 May 2020 10:28 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bowserpup32