1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck

More
24 Feb 2020 22:54 #819847 by ATLKZ
1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck was created by ATLKZ
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Have been working on a 1978 KZ650 for the past couple years. I've finally gotten around to the final touches on the bike and am digging into the clutch ball bearing ramp, pushrod and plates. I've got a new set of clutch basket springs, a new clutch cable, and have cleaned/re-greased the ball bearings and cage for the clutch pull/ramp arm. I've basically been through the entire system, but for some reason when I put it all back together, I can't get the clutch handle to actuate the clutch. Like the handle won't even budge. The cable/handle combo works when the final drive sprocket cover is off the bike, and when the clutch springs are not completely torqued down. Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue? Like the handle pull is so hard, I'm afraid I'm going to break something if I pull it hard enough to get anything to budge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Let me know if y'all need any more clarification.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 06:28 #819851 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic 1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck
I am not familiar with the KZ650 you have, but have you taken the clutch plates apart? I ask because you stated the bike hasn't run in several years and the plates may be stuck together. They do like to take a set after awhile. I assume the clutch cable is routed correctly and not kinked? Anything else may be bike specific and others may have better information. Definitely don't force the clutch lever to pull in as you may damage something you don't want to damage.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
25 Feb 2020 09:16 #819859 by ATLKZ
Replied by ATLKZ on topic 1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck
I have indeed -drained the oil, took all 13 of them off, cleaned them up, bought new springs (5 total) and then put everything back together and torqued to spec. I've actually had the bike running, but it was either A - not connected to the back wheel via the drive chain, or B in neutral. The clutch cable is routed correctly - the pull works when the sprocket cover is off the bike, but as soon as I bolt it on, it is completely seized. Short of taking it to someone who may know better, I'm at a loss for what to do.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Feb 2020 10:16 #819863 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck
Did you adjust the clutch adjuster screw behind that little cover on the sprocket cover by backing out the screw, tightening it until resistance is felt them backing it off 1/8 turn and tightening the lock nut?
Steve

More
25 Feb 2020 16:08 #819887 by ATLKZ
Replied by ATLKZ on topic 1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck
"Did you adjust the clutch adjuster screw behind that little cover on the sprocket cover by backing out the screw, tightening it until resistance is felt them backing it off 1/8 turn and tightening the lock nut?"

- I did - once I do that its almost as if as soon as the little ramper contacts the push rod, it hits a wall and won't budge - The interesting thing though is that if I back out the bolts/springs on the other side of the bike, the whole mechanism seems to work relatively normally. Still digging for answers here. I feel like it has to be something really simple that I am screwing up, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

More
26 Feb 2020 05:52 - 26 Feb 2020 05:56 #819902 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck
I don't know if this is applicable to a 70s KZ650, but on my 1981 KZ650-CSR
you're supposed to turn the clutch release adjusting screw counter-clockwise until hard to turn, then 1/4 turn clockwise.
It's kind of counter-intuitive. of course, do the other stuff beforehand to slacken the clutch cable.
Some manuals are ambiguous as to the direction, but the csr OM specifically says counter-clockwise first, then clockwise.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 05:56 by martin_csr.

More
26 Feb 2020 08:19 #819905 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 1978 KZ650 Clutch Stuck
Are the clutch springs the correct one's?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Feb 2020 09:29 #819908 by SWest