When does camshaft "seat" in installation [1980 kz550]

More
14 Feb 2020 14:15 #819323 by cmuns
Hi all,

I am rebuilding my engine for the first time and am a little nervous about knowing if I am "doing it right." I have made some mistakes in the past and do not want to impede my progress farther so I am coming here first. I want to ride this bike! Anyway here is the explanation.

I replaced the engine cylinder head and am installing the camshafts. For the exhaust camshaft, I have a question about when the camshaft is supposed to "seat." I ask this question because the ex line (see pic below) is supposed to line up with the cylinder head but it is not. Also, the tachometer pinion does not line up either as in it spins freely. I imagine that the camshaft will seat when I tighten the bracket bolts. Tightening them will open one the third exhaust vale. I think that because the camshaft lobe is resting on the 3rd exhaust valve lifter and preventing the camshaft from resting all the way down, thus keeping the pinion from syncing with the camshaft and preventing the "ex" line from lining up.

Am I correct with this line of thinking? Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2020 16:09 #819329 by Nessism
Your thinking is correct.

Be sure you have the 1-4 T mark on the ignition plate aligned with the mark on the case, then go after that mark on the camshaft. Typically the cam mark should angle down a little and then when you compress the cam into the head the mark will come up a little. I like to use vice grips to clamp the cam down into the head so there is less stress applied to the cam cap bolts when tightening them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Feb 2020 18:24 - 14 Feb 2020 18:24 #819337 by SWest
It is a good idea to remove the tach drive until after the cams are installed or it might get bent.
Steve
Last edit: 14 Feb 2020 18:24 by SWest. Reason: sp

More
15 Feb 2020 07:33 #819369 by cmuns
This is a great tip. Thank you!

More
15 Feb 2020 10:54 #819389 by cmuns
Thank you. I will look out for this

More
15 Feb 2020 10:59 #819393 by loudhvx
More than you ever wanted to know about 550 cam timing is in the valve train warning in my signature. It has better images of how to set the cam timing marks.