Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 00:58 #819355

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
You have to remove tensioner to service it, leave valve cover on, if removing valve cover lock off tensioner so it does not tighten up as this will stretch your chain or worse, ideally you need a workshop manual that covers this engine and read the procedures very carefully several times, valve lash will need to be checked along with carb synchronization as all of these can cause a noisy top end
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flatblackobsession

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 06:52 #819363

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
By Flatblackobsession: .... Two questions, please:
-- 1.) can I do that deal, removing and cleaning the cap and wedge, with the tensioner still installed on the engine, or does it have to come off?
-- 2.) what is the relationship between the valve cover and the tensioner? I believe the words "with the valve cover in place" have come up a few times in this thread. Are the chain guides attached to the valve cover?

You can remove the cross-wedge with the tensioner in place, but reinstall before removing the valve cover. If the the cross-wedge & its spring are gunked up or something, then you should remove the tensioner to clean/check the pushrod & pushrod spring. I would go ahead & remove the tensioner for servicing and check that both springs are within spec.

Yes, the upper guide is attached to the valve cover. When the valve cover is removed, you'll see that there's a dip or slack in the cam chain as it conforms to the shape of the upper guide. Then when you turn the crankshaft, the slack is taken up & transferred elsewhere, so the pushrod may move forward to take up the excess slack. The pushrod can only move forward >> the cross-wedge prevents it from moving backwards.
So when you try to put the valve cover back on without removing the cross-wedge, tightening the valve cover bolts may cause
the cam chain to get stretched (if the pushrod moved forward which it should do).

1981 KZ650-CSR. Just to show the dip or slack in the cam chain. I think I took this pic before turning the crankshaft. not sure.
not exactly the same as the 1000P, but basically the same in concept.

After turning the crankshaft. slack is taken up & the pushrod can then move forward. If you try to install the valve cover without removing the cross-wedge, tightening the valve cover could stretch the cam chain if the pushrod moved forward.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 07:02 #819364

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Chances are it would break one or more of the guides if not already done by the PO.
Steve

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 07:06 #819365

• martin_csr
  • User
What would break one of the guides?

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 07:09 #819366

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Overtightening the chain. I doubt the chain would stretch before the plastic guides fail.
Steve

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 07:19 #819367

• martin_csr
  • User
Either way, its' not a good thing. :laugh:

Pushrod roller. Since it hasn't been discussed. There should be a pushrod roller or stop that prevents the pushrod from falling down into the engine. The roller fits thru a hole in the tensioner body & protrudes into the pushrod groove. So when you remove the tensioner, make sure the roller is in place. see Camshaft/Tensioner diagram at Partzilla for the 88 1000P.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 15 Feb 2020 08:01 #819370

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
My top end tapping noise was a loose header.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 19 Feb 2020 09:50 #819578

• Flatblackobsession
  • Flatblackobsession's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I really appreciate all the thoughts and information. Martin and Swest-- good thoughts.

This gives me some ideas as to what might be up. I'm betting the previous owner did not know about this valve cover/tensioner relationship. I can tell they went in there to try to fix a valve cover oil leak, and I'll bet they tightened down the valve cover without tending to the tensioner. So, it might be a stretched chain, or hopefully just a compromised/broken guide.

We'll see......

Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr, SWest

• Page: