• Page:

TOPIC:

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 07:18 #819281

• Flatblackobsession
  • Flatblackobsession's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
KZRiders,
I have a 1988 KZ1000 P, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Once it warms up, it has top end noise, like either very loose valves or a loose timing chain.

I am going to pull the valve cover and inspect the valve clearances. But, I suspect I will find that this is a timing chain in need of adjustment.

The timing chain adjuster on this is the stock automatic adjuster. I understand these can get weak and stop doing their job properly over time.

Is there any way to manually adjust with one of the late-1980's automatic tensioners (doesn't seem to have the same set screw hole as the old ones)?

Or, is there a way to rebuild one of these automatic tensioners?

Bottom line is this: I'd like to find a cheap way to take up any slack in the timing chain in order to troubleshoot. I don't want to buy $60 APE manual tensioner just to troubleshoot this issue. Know what I mean?

Also, if anyone out there has a functioning tensioner for this bike that they don't need, or would sell/trade, would you please PM me?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 08:40 #819289

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
With the valve cover in place, you could remove, clean & inspect the tensioner, and check the free spring length >> the manual probably has the specs. Get a new tensioner gasket or o-ring beforehand. I lubricate the tensioner with Permatex ultra disk brake caliper grease in the little packets. Before removing the tensioner, I turn the crankshaft to line up the timing advancer T mark. probably not necessary, but that's what I do, since I usually service the timing advancer at the same time.

Warning: see tensioner warnings in the manual. Do not remove the tensioner body bolts part way, then retighten.
Before reinstalling the tensioner, remove the cap & cross-wedge. This will allow the pushrod to float.
If the cross-wedge is in place while tightening the tensioner bolts, the cam chain could get stretched, so remove the cross-wedge beforehand.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Flatblackobsession

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 08:54 #819290

• Flatblackobsession
  • User
Thanks. How do you service the tensioner once you've inspected it?

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 09:03 #819291

• martin_csr
  • User
Clean & lubricate it. The manual may specify some sort of lubricant, but I use the synthetic brake caliper grease mentioned above. I believe it's a molybdenum disulfide grease.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 09:30 #819293

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis ebay listing includes a few pictures, and may be a decent replacement if needed. Would need new o-ring, Kawasaki part number: 670E2022

_________________________________________________________________________ ____ ____ ____ _ _ _ _

View Kawasaki part diagram below:
www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000p3-police-1...13.html#.XkbZ47h7mt8

:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 10:10 #819296

• Flatblackobsession
  • User
Thanks. Has anyone ever had any luck replacing the spring? If so, where did you get the replacement spring/other parts?

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 10:59 #819303

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Look at Partzilla. The spring is part number 92081-1302 and cost is $2.76. Personally I would check valve clearance first and take a gander at idler wheels and chain to see what condition they are in, before tearing into the chain adjuster. Just my opinion but I would start at the top and work down.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 11:30 #819305

• martin_csr
  • User
His 1000P should have a Hy-Vo cam chain w rubber slipper guides, instead of idler wheels.

With the valve cover in place, instead of completely servicing the tensioner, you could simply remove the cap, cross-wedge & cross-wedge spring, clean/lubricate the cross-wedge & spring, then reinstall. I think this will kind of reset the tensioner. You could measure the cross-wedge spring at this time. There's also a pushrod spring, but the tensioner has to be removed to check it.

If you plan on removing the valve cover, leave the tensioner & cross-wedge in place. After removing the valve cover & turning the crankshaft and you're ready to put the valve cover back on, before reinstalling the valve cover, remove the cap & cross-wedge, then install the valve cover & torque the bolts. then re-install the cross-wedge, spring & cap.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 11:33 #819306

• Rick H.
  • User
Sorry, my mistake. Too new for me. I assume those could be worn too correct?

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 11:56 #819311

• martin_csr
  • User
Yes, he should inspect the upper guide to see if it's chewed up or damaged.
If the upper guide is bad, then the other two might be damaged as well.
Most of them I've seen have slight impressions in them from the cam chain, from normal use.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 13:48 #819321

• Flatblackobsession
  • User
Thanks-- I appreciate it. This '88 is new to me too. The bike I ride is a 1978 KZ1000, so I'm new to this animal.

Two questions, please:

-- 1.) can I do that deal, removing and cleaning the cap and wedge, with the tensioner still installed on the engine, or does it have to come off?

-- 2.) what is the relationship between the valve cover and the tensioner? I believe the words "with the valve cover in place" have come up a few times in this thread. Are the chain guides attached to the valve cover?

Thanks again.

Cop bike top end sound, tensioner? 14 Feb 2020 14:16 #819325

• Rick H.
  • User
I would love to answer your questions, but obviously that '88 model engine is different from my '77. Probably would be a great idea to get a factory service manual for your bike as you will find many answers to your questions in the book. Looking at Partzilla the cam chain and tensioners are quite different than earlier models
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• Page: