79 KZ750 Different Cam Caps

More
13 Feb 2020 09:10 - 13 Feb 2020 09:10 #819172 by ccammo
79 KZ750 Different Cam Caps was created by ccammo
Hey Everyone,
I have one different cam cap as you can see in the photo. The one in the top middle left says #6 instead of #2. Is this ok to run? I found the engine with it like this (From PO). The bike ran, don't really know how well as I just drove it around the neighborhood and not the highway, but it did run pretty smooth. I have ordered a whole new cam cap set from ebay. I've heard that the sets are machined with the block, so does that mean I just purchased a set for no reason? What if I just kept the number 6 there? What if I switched only the #6 with the #2 I just bought and kept the rest of the cam caps that were under there?

Thanks!
Chris
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 09:10 by ccammo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2020 09:13 - 13 Feb 2020 09:13 #819173 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 79 KZ750 Different Cam Caps

ccammo wrote: Hey Everyone,
...... I have ordered a whole new cam cap set from ebay. I've heard that the sets are machined with the block, so does that mean I just purchased a set for no reason?
Chris]

Yes. Replacing cam caps that were machined with the head with caps that were not is a mistake. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 09:13 by 650ed.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
13 Feb 2020 10:20 #819178 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic 79 KZ750 Different Cam Caps
disassemble the head and see what the cam bore looks like in that location. if it looks OK I would tear the head down so you hand rotate the cam without interference from the valves, if it turns smooth and measures in spec i would run it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

More
13 Feb 2020 12:30 #819191 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic 79 KZ750 Different Cam Caps
Remove the caps and see if there is any damage to the bearing surfaces, although line bored in place originally they are sometimes broken and get retro fitted by previous owners with one that best fits, it is not impossible to do this, machining practices ensure there is very little difference in sizes even back then, providing it is not binding or too loose it can be used, also you have now run it and it would either have rattled or bound, and evidence will be on the cap bearing surface.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, ccammo